WC8 Firmware Update Failed

Flex

I have two WC8 board version 2.3.8s. I have had nothing but problems with these getting the one wire sensors to work without constant reboots and lockups.

I have posted this issue over the the ISY forums (see topics under "CAI Web Control to ISY Integration")  and performed the suggestions by the Cai Networks support team. When I saw this firmware update I thought I would try the update on one of them.

The other one is at my summer home and is currently sitting there locked up due to the one wire issue. Before this it would reboot itself at least once every couple of days and often many times in one day. (I have a program in my both my ISYs that track this) But when it lost the one wire sensor configuration it stopped rebooting itself and ran its other tasks perfectly. That is until a power interruption reset the one wire connections and it started rebooting itself as before, and finally locked up on December 4th, and has been that way ever since, since I am not there to cycle power it.

So on the second one which is here at home I tried removing one of two one wire sensors and ran it with just one. Since then it rebooted itself over 60 times in a months time.

I ran thehttp://ip-address/api/bootloader.cgi?start (yes, I substituted its ip address which is still the WC8 default) from the browser and it failed to connect but it did turn on the amber light.. I then ran the tftp.exe program and entered the IP address and the file update-PLC3-3-23.hex that I download from your site. When I select upgrade I get the error message "Unable to get response from server". After waiting I cycled power to my WC8 and it is now Bricked.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Are you on the wired network or on wifi?  We do not recommend to update over wifi, since lost packet over wifi could cause update failure. This 3-03-23 update does improve temperature sensor issue. However, you will need to get the firmware on the board first.

When you say bricked, did you try to connect it to the board through a cross over cable?  Most time, if update failed, you can still update the board with direct corss over cable on the PC.  set PC IP address 192.168.1.2 or something in that subnet. Have tftp.exe update target address at 192.168.1.15.  When applying power, it has 5 seconds to allow enter into update mode.  Have everything ready, power on the board, within one second, start tifp update. 

Please let us know if this helps.

Flex,

we copied above message about recovering from update failure to you in a direct message. Hope you got it.  We had test this method by purposely created update failure and recover from the failure, so we know it should work.  After recovery, your MAC address will change. If you have problem with that, please contact us directly with your original MAC address on the label.

When watching online video over WIFI, sometimes another computer turned on would cause first computer video play stopped, that kind of jitter will kill the WC update process.  That is why we clearly stated in the update online instruction for not performing update over any segment of WIFI network.

3.03.23 should improve temp sensor reading. We do recommend to update to this firmware.

Merry Christmas!

Thank you for your support.

I tried your instructions with a crossover cable. By the way the first attempt was with a wired connection.

Again the message. "Unable to get responses from server". It turns out I was too slow at clicking the mouse after applying power.

After these two unsuccessful attempts I put it back on my network and tried again.
This time I used the "enter key" instead of trying to click the mouse. You have to be fast. And it worked. I got the "upgrade successful" message. After successfully installing the GUI file the WC8 board is ready for further testing.

Jerry

Hi Flex,

After firmware updated, did temp sensor work better?
We do recommend to update firmware for all hw rev 2.3.x boards to  FW 3.03.23 level for improved 1-wire sensor communication.

Happy New Year!

Back