Weather Station

jskibo

I was looking at the VWS plugin for Homeseer yesterday and got to thinking of adding a weather station to my setup.

I don't want to spend a ton of money, so would like to keep it below $150.

Anyone know of a decent weather station (temp, wind, humidity, rainfall (or I guess snow now)) that interfaces well with Homeseer?

I'm currently "testing" a Fine Offset wirelessly connected Weather Station. I've had an AAG 1-Wire wind instrument set up for a few years now. The Fine Offset weather station was purchased for $60 plus $24 shipping. I am using it with weather software called Cumulus and running the Cumulus software on a W2003 box and Cumulus web server on an Ubuntu LAMP server and polling the real time text off the web server for variables into my HA stuff. Secondarily I have enabled XAP on the Cumulus software (which is free BTW) to get a duplicate set of variables. It is sold here under various names from various vendors and prices are kind of all over the place for it. I have left the wireless interface in the "server" rack between two servers and the weather station is like maybe 20-30 feet from the house (brick) and in the basement.

I will also be testing the Davis Vantage Vue (on order pending delivery) with a serial connection/logging mod to it such that I do not have to get the weather link piece to it. It will also be utilizing Cumulus software.

Both of the above are wireless and have very small footprints. I am testing a new Homeseer Cumulus plugin which automatically creates the HS variables and writes the number to a db. Its doing this by reading the realtime text either across the network or locally.

Is that Fine model also sold as the Ambient WS-1090?

The Davis is nice, but I think a bit more than I want to spend. Going to check out that Cumulus software. Where's the plugin at?

I'm currently "testing" a Fine Offset wirelessly connected Weather Station. I've had an AAG 1-Wire wind instrument set up for a few years now. The Fine Offset weather station was purchased for $60 plus $24 shipping. .

Does anyone know where the Fine Offset (or re-branded version of the same) can be purchased in Canada?

Jeff,

Yes I purchased the Fine Offset from the same Ebayer that sells it as a buy it now for $119 in an auction. Only thing was $24 was a bit high for shipping. Think you would have no issues shipping it to Canada. Look for it cheaper though than $119 as shipping is a bit steep.

I lucked out purchasing the Davis Vantage Vue at 3 AM in the morning for under $200. It must have been the right time or maybe no one was watching; No one bid against me. Its been more than a few months of looking for a deal though.

As Adam (mrhappy) about a "test" copy of the plugin for Cumulus. He is still working out the bugs with it. Its using the same mysql dll as Ultra uses for his plugins.

If HS can import weatherlink data then you might want to take a look at my thread on hcatech about this. In it I describe using a powershell script to pull down weather underground station observations as weatherlink data. The thread is here:

http://hcatech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396

Jeff,

Yes I purchased the Fine Offset from the same Ebayer that sells it as a buy it now for $119 in an auction. Only thing was $24 was a bit high for shipping. Think you would have no issues shipping it to Canada. Look for it cheaper though than $119 as shipping is a bit steep.

I lucked out purchasing the Davis Vantage Vue at 3 AM in the morning for under $200. It must have been the right time or maybe no one was watching; No one bid against me. Its been more than a few months of looking for a deal though.

As Adam (mrhappy) about a "test" copy of the plugin for Cumulus. He is still working out the bugs with it. Its using the same mysql dll as Ultra uses for his plugins.

I bought one for my Dad near that price too. However, I didn't read carefully and got the ISS only. No console. (So $200 is just the street price). Console will be another $80 or so. You should check out your auction.

Back