Westec 5000 questions

justicerank

Recently I posted a few questions about our >25 year old Westec 5000 and received very helpful responses.  We've got a few follow-up Qs.

Does anyone know where to obtain the Installation Manual for that system?  We've got the Owner's Manual that's used to operate the owner keypad.

Does anyone know how to program the system?  

Is it done from the board?  
Or from the owner's keypad (of which there are three and through these we arm the system and turn it off)?  

Another Q - what must one do to cause the system to phone a particular phone number?  
Right now, when the alarm is triggered the monitoring company is alerted (by way of a telephone landline) but we would like to discontinue their service and be in a position to control what numbers the system calls when the alarm is triggered.

Is there a gadget that can be added that would do this?  

Or is it always a question of programming the board?

Last Q - Does anyone know whether there are resistors built into the magnetic sensor switches themselves, or are the resistors mounted somewhere else in the system?

The switches that are currently installed in the system are Sentrol 1075/65 switches and I have not dissected one to see whether there is a resistor in it.

Thanks in advance for any help/light you can shed on these Qs.

justicerank said:
justicerank, on 15 Mar 2019 - 01:11, said:
Recently I posted a few questions about our >25 year old Westec 5000 and received very helpful responses. We've got a few follow-up Qs.

Does anyone know where to obtain the Installation Manual for that system? We've got the Owner's Manual that's used to operate the owner keypad.

Does anyone know how to program the system?

Is it done from the board?
Or from the owner's keypad (of which there are three and through these we arm the system and turn it off)?

Another Q - what must one do to cause the system to phone a particular phone number?
Right now, when the alarm is triggered the monitoring company is alerted (by way of a telephone landline) but we would like to discontinue their service and be in a position to control what numbers the system calls when the alarm is triggered.

Is there a gadget that can be added that would do this?

Or is it always a question of programming the board?

Last Q - Does anyone know whether there are resistors built into the magnetic sensor switches themselves, or are the resistors mounted somewhere else in the system?

The switches that are currently installed in the system are Sentrol 1075/65 switches and I have not dissected one to see whether there is a resistor in it.

Thanks in advance for any help/light you can shed on these Qs.
1. It looks like you can find a manual for the Westec 5000 at pdf-zoo. They are subsciption based, so it will cost you a minimum of $8.99 for a 24 hour subscription

http://www.pdf-zoo.com/westec-security/manuals

http://www.pdf-zoo.com/westec-security/11788/w5000-installation-manual

2. Programming usually can be done through the keypad, though that can be tedious. Many systems today also allow programming via a RS-232 or network interface using a custom application on a PC. Don't know if the Westec supports that.

You'll need the installer code to be able to program it. The installer code is different from the user codes and master code. If it was changed from the factory default, then you're probably stuck. The manual should tell you what the default code is.

[Edit]: I came across a comment in another forum that said programming a Westec 5000 requires a "programming module." It wasn't clear if they were referring to a device that plugs in to the panel to do the programming, and if that is the only way to program it.

3. The phone number of the monitoring company is programmed into the panel. Once you have the installation manual, it should tell you how to change it. But you'll need the installer code to do that. If you can't change the programmed phone number, one way around it is to use an add-on alarm system communicator. These use cellular or internet connections to contact the central station. They attach to the phone line output of the alarm panel and intercept and re-direct the phone call. Essentially, they ignore the number that the panel is programmed to dial and then contact whatever CS has been programmed into the communicator.

4. There are some door and window contacts that have built-in resistors. The Sentrol 1075/65 doesn't have them, however. The easiest way to be sure is to disconnect the wires from a zone at the panel and put an ohm meter across the wires and see what it reads with the door/window open and then closed. Usually, if there is no resistor, you'll get a reading of close to zero with the door/window closed and infinite (open) with it open. If there is an EOLR, you'll get a reading somewhere in the range of 1K to 5K. Different panels use different values for EOLRs. Don't know what the Westec uses, or if it supports them.

BIOeRCzCUAAAU4a.jpg

I came across this thread in another forum about programming the 5000.  Looks like it can be programmed through the keypad, but it's very painful since it does not have an alphanumeric display.  You just have to go by which LEDs are lit or not.

You sound like you are fairly tech savvy.   If it were mine, I would replace the whole panel.   You can get a Vista 20p with a 6160 keypad for a little more than $100.   It comes complete with the manual and EOLR resistors.   

You can then get it monitored by Alarm Relay for less than $10 per month.    

If it is connected to a fire alarm, that is a bit more complex.   Security alone requires some effort but is workable if you follow the installers manual.

@jpmargis could you please contact me at sdtoddl at gmail com.   I would like to find out more about the programming card.  I assume you work for one of the last companies that will monitor the Westec 5000.   I want to get my alarm monitored.

I need to find a Westec DD5100 keypad I can purchase for a project. Any suggestions?

I was able to find a DD5100 keypad but now it looks like I also need a MS5045 card.
jpmargis if you are checking this post please let me know if I can buy the card from you.

Is anyone out there that has a source for Westec parts and information? 
jpmargis - if you see this I would like to purchase or rent the program card, Its worth a couple hundred bucks to me to get one that will let me program my panel.

Back