What are the standard practices for outdoor sirens?

If you want alarm memory after a zone has tripped and reset, naturally you need to be able to acknowledge the alarm. I do not see yet how to do this. Needs more work. Or documentation from Elk.

Well after a long "dialog" with ELK support, it turns out that Aux1 and Aux2 alarms *are* acknowledged and reset by entering a valid user code.

Oh by the way, this will also arm the system. Not exactly a desirable result.

Now I will have to revise most of my alarm-handling rules. Probably all of them. But first I will have to prepare a matrix of alarm types and their characteristics to supplement the Elk documentation.

Now I will have to revise most of my alarm-handling rules. Probably all of them. But first I will have to prepare a matrix of alarm types and their characteristics to supplement the Elk documentation.
Please keep us updated on your progress.

Richard

Please keep us updated on your progress.

The work-around that I settled on is to use another user code which has Disarm and Access authorization but not Arm authorization.

This code clears the alarm while avoiding arming the system. But the unfortunate tradeoff is that the wife has to remember two codes (as the system manager, I don't have this problem). This compounds her already vague understanding of the system and contributes to her stress. I cannot be sure exactly what she will do in an alarm situation.

I did not document the alarm characteristics. These experiments are hugely time-consuming and I decided it was not worth it.

Back