What Do I need?

compuguru

I found a guy who is selling an Ocelot online. It's used and doesn't come with any power adapter or anything. What do I need to get to hook it up to my computer, and basically use it? I know I need an X-10 adapter.

From Applied Digital's Site (on what comes with an Ocelot):

User's Guide and C-Max 2.0 Control Wizard Software
Comms Cable for OCELOT - PC communication
25' cable for TW523 communication (TW523 not included)
9-12V @ 1A power supply

So you would need a wall wart or other nine to 12 volt DC supply capable of supplying one amp of current, an X-10 powerline adapter such as the TW523 or PSC05, and a null modem serial cable to communicate with the computer's serial port and download CMax code and an RJ-11 adapter cable to connect the X-10 powerline adapter to the Ocelot (note this is NOT a regular phone cable, though it looks like one to the casual observer).

Also note that if you intend on using the Ocelot for IR you would need transmitters/receivers and connecting blocks depending on your particular application (Xantech or Buffalo Electronics, etc...)

That's exactly what I was looking for. Any suggestions on where to get a null modem serial cable and the RJ-11 adapter cable?

Maybe try this Serial Cable site (I just found it via dogpile, didn't purchase myself. Prices seem OK. Check them out over at resellerratings.com though before using them).

As far as the RJ-11 adapter, I have no idea. Maybe Applied Digital's site??

Are you sure you need a null modem cable? I use regular serial cables, and they work just fine.

and IIRC, the RJ-11 cable just has one end 'flipped', ie; on flat 4 conductor phone wire, just whack off one end and crip on a new one 'upsidedown' (oposite of the old one)

Pete C

electron said:
Are you sure you need a null modem cable? I use regular serial cables, and they work just fine.
Hmmm, I always get confused between serial and null modem. Hopefully Guy Lavoie can chime in here and say what the pinouts are between pins 2, 3, & 5 (i.e. if 2 & 3 are "crossed" or "straight through").!

Good point! :blink:

The serial cable is a straight DB-9 female to DB-9 male cable, no cross overs or anything. You only needs to have pins 2,3 and 5 actually connected, so you can also easily make your own.

You will also need to get the latest manual from here (click on the date):

http://www.appdig.com/adicon_new/ocelot_manuals.htm

and the C-Max software used to create IF/THEN logic programs:

http://www.appdig.com/adicon_new/download.htm

Finally, Applied Digital has a support forum here:

http://www.appdigsupport.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Thanks for straightening me out Guy (as usual :blink: ).

Question I now have is this; Is a "null" modem cable one that has pins 2 & 3 crossed? Reason I ask is this is sometimes all the description one gets when trying to order a serial cable.

So am I correct in saying pins 2 & 3 "straight through" is a standard "serial cable" and pins 2 & 3 "crossed" is a "null modem" cable? Enquiring minds want to know! :p

Also, so we answer the OP's question, is there a source to purchase an RJ-11 interface cable for the Ocelot to power line controller?

I realize one can make both of these cables, just trying to answer the original questions.

BraveSirRobbin said:
So am I correct in saying pins 2 & 3 "straight through" is a standard "serial cable" and pins 2 & 3 "crossed" is a "null modem" cable?
Yes, that is true. A "true" null modem cable would also cross over some hardware handshaking signals, but that is not needed here.

This all came about because not all serial equipment is "equal". Some equipment (like terminals) transmit on pin 2, while other equipment (like mainframes) transmit on 3. Therefore you would use a straight cable to connect a transmitter to a receiver and vice versa. But then you add things like modems and printers, should they be treated like terminals or mainframes? Either choice was wrong for somebody, hence the need for crossover cables to let two things that both want to transmit on pin 2 talk to each other.

Yes, a null modem cable is a cable where the data and control pins are crossed over in order to connect two devices with similar ports. This goes back to the days of mainframes where you normally had a Data Communication Equipment (a DCE, ie: modem) connected to a Data Terminal Equipment (DTE: terminal or printer). When you wanted to connect a terminal directly to a printer or another terminal, then you null out the (non-existant) modem by crossing over the signals.

For the straight through RJ11 cable, I guess that any place offering custom made cables should be able to make you one easily.

Back