what do you think of this?

It's UL approved, why would someone bother to go through the certification process if it's all BS (I don't doubt you tho)? Is it that cheap/easy to get UL approved now? Would love to take one apart and see what they really put in those units.

I think UL just approves it for safety, not "works as advertised". It would be hard to sell an electrical gadget without UL approval. and your $199 had to go for something ;)

It's a capacitor. That's all. It's doing simple power factor correction to balance out the inductive loads caused by most electronics/appliances.

The thing is, the metering systems used by the pocos for home use don't care what the power factor is. They'll read the same regardless.

Now for industrial customers it's a different story - they can be billed extra if they go less than a certain level...

Jerry

I opened up one of those devices a few years back and all that was in it was a MOV (metal oxide varistor). It would clamp small power line spikes, but saving money? NO! They claimed it would make the refrigerator run cooler and save you money.

Don't waste your money.

Lower the thermostat if you want to save money. That works!

A BIG crock of BS!!!! ;)

I think UL just approves it for safety, not "works as advertised". It would be hard to sell an electrical gadget without UL approval. and your $199 had to go for something

For a product like that the UL Listing is just about safety. It doesnt have to work...it just has to be safe.

For a UL Listing of alarm equipment, medical equipment etc it has to work or it doesnt get Listed.

I had looked at those a few years ago. I agree with Jknox that the concept is irrelevant for residential applications. With commercial use the "concept" may be valid since they are billed on peak usage and time of day etc. in most cases.

That device is basically......... a piece of ^&* in my opinion.

I realize it's about safety, but still, why would someone bother going through all those expenses to get a fake product on the market . Guess people are really buying these things.

The product is not fake, and it does not take the sale of too many of these things to make UL listing worth it.
It is just the results that are fake.... ;)

Back