WHAT Is Your Favorite Color, err...

BraveSirRobbin

Just curious as to what some of your favorite song lyrics are (keep it PG rated) ;) .

Mine are:

"Taking away the moments that make up a dull day" (Pink Floyd),

and

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

and from that same song:

"The Pope don't work because the vandals took the handles" (I never did understand what that meant) (Robert Zimmerman).

BraveSirRobbin said:
and from that same song:

"The Pope don't work because the vandals took the handles" (I never did understand what that meant) (Robert Zimmerman).
I don't think you can understand it because that isn't the right lyrics.

http://www.kissthisguy.com/archive/lyric.1568.html

Supposedly, the real lyrics are "The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handle." which makes some sense, but I don't know the context or the song.

Oh yea, that makes a lot more sense ;) !

Wow, all this time I had those lyrics wrong. I heard about that web site (named after a Jimmy Hendrix song "Excuse me while I kiss the sky" / "Excuse me while I kiss this guy").

Thanks for the info Wayne!

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill."

Neil Peart - Rush

BraveSirRobbin said:
"Taking away the moments that make up a dull day" (Pink Floyd),
Not to pick on BSR but the correct line here is "Ticking away..."

One of my faves:
Reach out your hand if your cup be empty,
If your cup is full may it be again
Ripple - Grateful Dead

remoteshoppe said:
Not to pick on BSR but the correct line here is "Ticking away..."
Hehe, that's OK, I seem to be making a LOT of mistakes lately! Thank goodness electron is the true "brains" of this outfit! ;)

Well here is definately one of the strangest I have heard. I have heard the song for years, and never payed attention to what the lyrics were saying till a couple months ago. I KNOW just about everyone on this board has heard this song as it was BIG 80's hit.

The song is "Macarthur Park" by Donna Summer. Here is a snippit of the Lyrics:

Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again

The full lyrics are available HERE.

I will have to second ouzome choice. Having been a Rush fan for years, that has been one of my favorite.

Rick

Dang - Ouzome took my first thought! No one more profound than Peart. Though much better with the rest of the song attached, how about:

"Sadder still to watch it die than never to have known it.
For you the blind who once could see, the bell tolls for thee."
Losing It by Rush

Or:

"Big bottom, big bottom
Talk about mud flaps my girl's got 'em"
Big Bottom by Spinal Tap

This is probably breaking the chain but....

Although I am not a die hard David Bowie fan, I like the entire Ziggy Stardust song. Nothing profound, just good hard driving (and strange) lyrics.

I could have said "Where have all the flowers gone..." by whoever or anything by Johnny Bravo (aka Greg Brady - Brady Bunch)

Sorry, I'll go away now.

Hehe, you never know where a thread like this will lead to! :lol:

I like to play this (yet another Bob Dylan) song whenever I get annoyed by someone at work: (may not have the "exact" lyrics btw).

"I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes, then for that one moment I could be you.

Yes, I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes, then you would know what a drag it is to see you!
"

There are many cases of misunderstood lyrics (like the well known "there's a bathroom on the right" instead of "there's a bad moon on the rise" by CCR) but much funnier are the cases when the performer actually does it on purpose as a joke. One of the most famous such cases is when Elvis was singing "Are you lonesome tonight" at a live concert and decided to slip in a variation (instead of singing "do you gaze at your doorstep and wish I were there" he said "do you gaze at your bald head and wished you had hair") anyway someone in the audience must have reacted in a funny way because just after that, Elvis can't keep singing and just cracks up laughing uncontrollably. Meanwhile the band and the lady doing that high voice just keep going. He does manage to sing the final sentence of the song somewhat properly. I have an mp3 version of it. Hilarious!

Back