what size screw to install a flush mount speaker to the KP2 keypad flushmount

Pcarfan

I am using the extra two CAT 6 wires I won't need for the M1KP2 keypad for the SP12F speaker. I also got the flush mount backbox for the keypad and I see a place to mount the speaker. What size screws do I need to install these. The kit didn't come with it.

Thanks! 

I used some 1/2" self-tapping screws I had for car audio work ;)

kp2sp12f.jpg

I'd say they are #6. If you are using anchors 1" to 1.5" should be long enough. I also like the little yellow split anchors for small drywall holes.

Driven has what is commonly called "lath" screws, used for stucco work.

(memory) #4 pan X 1/2 would be what I'd recommend for speaker to backbox. #6 X 1 1/4 for anything that needs to go into an anchor. Don't use the "split" anchors/rawls that everyone seems to use, they pull straight out of the wall. Use Zipits or other similar anchors. Rawls or hollow wall plugs are really for a masonary application.

This is the type of screw I used to mount the speaker:

-main-image-20047.jpg

I've never heard of it being referred to as a "lath" screw, but that doesn't mean it isn't. As mentioned above, I use these often for any sort of sheet metal mounting in automotive applications (e.g. grounding, speaker mounting). The size seemed to be appropriate, and I'm not at all worried about them coming loose...

Not faulting, but informing...trying to find screws in the hell of a big box store with the drawers or baggies stinks. The screws are no different than a similar sized truss head and washer combo, but in an automotive application, I'd definitely recommend some sort of star washer beneath the bearing surface.

FYI: http://www.phillipsii.com/lath.php

Wow... learn something new everyday!

Definitely agree about trying to find certain screws in the big box hardware stores... always an adventure!

Those screws are stocked at my local Lowes hardware store.  I use them to secure decorative grating on square tubing outdoor gates (say for a side yard).

Usually the lath screws are located in the lumber/outdoor material in the orange store....they seem to be more "construction" oriented. The blue store tends to have smaller packages and IMHO, less of a "trade" variety of anything that isn't common or used often by HO's.

I may be spoiled, but I prefer Fastenal or my local guys (the Nutty Company) for variety and quantities beyond a 10 pack.

FYI, here is the packaging for 100 count just in case anyone is interested in picking these up.  I believe Lowes has more sizes as well.
lathescrew.jpg

Back