What wire type and gauge to use for ELK?

RogueOne

Ive been told that cat 5e or cat 6 can be used for wiring sensors to the ELK.  These are the sensors I'm curious about what type of wire and gauge to use for each.

Wired low voltage smoke detector
The Elk alarm panel to the system
Smarthome water shutoff to the system
Glass break sensors

Thanks in advance

You could use Cat5e/6 cable for door and window sensors, and the glass breaks.  My preference would be to use 22/4.

[Edit]:
Wired low voltage smoke detector  - FPL rated 18 gauge fire alarm cable is a must. Make sure you daisy chain the smokes. Don't home run the cables.  Run 18/4 for 4-wire smokes, 18/2 for 2-wire smokes.  [End edit]

The Elk alarm panel to the system - Do you mean from the M1G to the keypads? Many people use Cat5e or Cat6 CM rated or better, as the extra conductors allow you to home run all the cables.  Some folks recommend using FPL rated cable, since the keypads are a critical part of the system. 

Smarthome water shutoff to the system - Which valve are you referring to?  The Elk valve requires 800 mA.  22/4 CM rated cable would just be adequate to handle the current. If the cable run is reasonably short (e.g. 50'), it'll do fine.  If you have any left over 18/4, I'd probably go with that.

Glass break sensors - 22/4 CM rated cable.

Yes M1g to keypad

This is the shutoff valve says the static current is 351 mA, power supply range AC/DC 11-15V, Connection cable 800mm.  Item number 70275 smarthome select electronic valve 3/4 inch 12v dc.  Don't know why I'm unable to post a link.

When you say home run the cable from the panel back?  What exactly do you mean and what is the purpose?

Thanks

RogueOne said:
Yes M1g to keypad

This is the shutoff valve says the static current is 351 mA, power supply range AC/DC 11-15V, Connection cable 800mm.  Item number 70275 smarthome select electronic valve 3/4 inch 12v dc.  Don't know why I'm unable to post a link.

When you say home run the cable from the panel back?  What exactly do you mean and what is the purpose?

Thanks

For the Smarthome valve, 22/4 cable should be fine. 

Home run cables are where you run a separate cable from the panel to each keypad.  The Elk keypads need to be wired in a daisy chain fashion, where the first keypad is wired to the M1, and then the first keypad connects to the second, and so on.

If you use home run Catx cable to the keypads, you can use the extra conductors in the cable to build the daisy chain.  If you were to home run just 22/4 cable, you couldn't create a proper daisy chain and would need to use the Elk M1DBHR if you had more than 2 keypads to connect.

With smoke detectors, they MUST be wired in a daisy chain fashion.  In new construction, it's usually easy to run the cables for the smokes from one to the next to build the daisy chain.  In an existing house, with the walls closed in, that may not be so easy.  So you could also do it with home run cables to the smokes, but you'll need twice as many conductors.  i.e. 4 conductors for 2-wire smokes, or 8 conductors for 4-wire smokes.  Then, you use the extra conductors to wire up the daisy chain back at the panel end.

You can also home run Cat5 to each keypad and use the M1DBH.

I'd also suggest considering running an 18/2 to each keypad for a local speaker (ELK SP12F) to be installed behind the keypads as well. 

RogueOne said:
So if I am only using 1 keypad then there is no home run?

If you have just one keypad, the wire to the keypad would still be considered as a home run.  It just makes wiring things up very simple.

Back