What ZigBee devices would you like to see?

thechop66

What sort of devices either completely new or just an improvement on existing would you like to see available in ZigBee to make it a more desirable line of products?

I'd like a solid moisture sensor myself in the HA profile.     

There really needs to be more light switches. Also, since its a battery type of technology, how about battery temp sensors and alarm sensors. There are a few, but not many.

I am assuming that you are talking about the HA profile?

I second the light switches request -- Both dimmers and relay switches are needed.  Also convertible dimmers (like upb) would be a nice addition as well.

Some other nice features for these switches would be the ability to monitor load consumption.

Wall outlets, as well as sensors like motion, lighting, etc.

Something else that would help would be zigbee HA profile libraries for things like the arduino so that DIY could easily build the custom sensors/devices that are needed.

Steve

I've been looking into home automation and have read many of the "Which technology is best?" threads.  To be honest, the lack of consolidation is what's preventing me from spending any money.  I would prefer an open standard like ZigBee, however there appear to be very few products available.

I've read that ZigBee-powered manufacturers are now getting their act together on interoperability, but there are almost no products available that I can see.  I'd like to start out with a couple of dimmers or switches to put outside lights on a timer or motion trigger, but can't find anything.

Am I missing it or are there actually more than 1 or 2 ZigBee products available to consumers?  What's preventing companies from rolling out ZigBee faster?

fourthirtysix said:
Am I missing it or are there actually more than 1 or 2 ZigBee products available to consumers?  What's preventing companies from rolling out ZigBee faster?

Yes, your missing something. There are hundreds of Zigbee devices available but not all of them are devices designed for end-users, but there are many.  I have HAI's Zigbee thermostats, and HAI's Zigbee appliance module, Kwikset Zigbee locks and a Smartenit appliance module.  You might want to check out the Zigbee Alliance page for the certified products, http://www.zigbee.org/Products/ByFunction/AllFunctions.aspx  There are more uncertified Chinese products.

There is little preventing companies from rolling out more products except for the fact that the market for these type of products is small.  Companies generally don't make and sell products unless they can be certain they will make money on them.  There also has to be an infrastructure for any automated devices, and these are pretty limited.  A Zigbee lock won't do you much good unless you have something to control it with. 

Back