What's your electricity rate & tier structure?

Ok, data received to-date compiled. I got 22 states, plus 2 canadian provinces and australia. It was seriously all over the map in terms of approach, so I uploaded the raw data here, but also created a list of what it would cost for 1000Kwh/month in each location. I'm #2, at least one location is higher prices. Then again, i'd rather be there than where I am, so I gues you get what you pay for :)

There's 38 entries as many states had different prices based on the season. Also, I sometimes got different prices for the same state as folks had different companies.

Let me know if there's info I didn't show that you'd like to see.

power.jpg

Michigan - Detroit Edison

per KW/h

Residential: 0.04531
Delivery: 0.04284
Total: 0.08815

$88.15 / 1000 kw/h

Heating / cooling / vehicles: 0.02
Delivery: 0.01728
Total: 0.03728

$37.28 / 1000 kw/h

My geothermal home was 14% residential and 86% Heating for February (winter).
So, blended rate would be around $50 or so per 1000 kw/h
Which because of the dual rates, makes geothermal so attractive.

Business: 0.04935
Delivery: 0.03993
Total: 0.08828

$88.28 / 1000 kw/h

While we are at it:
Propane:
$3.40 / gallon

Upstate NY and Buffalo are both serviced by National Grid and should be the same. I think the difference is that the current bill showed a one time credit adjustment that I did not include for Upstate NY but I think it was factored in for Buffalo.

Just checked my bill- works out to 147.00 per 1000 kwh. National Grid, Massachusetts

MA could be different due to different State taxes and fees.

I was trying to avoid typing it all in. ;-)

Rate R-1

Customer chg 6.10
Dist chg .02525
Transition chg .0039
Transmission chg .01238
Energy Conservation .0025
Renewable energy chg .0005

water heater control credit -5.78

Generation charger .10215

I guess some of these are "taxes" but they name them funny. (transition, conservation, renewable)

markd

For the Charlotte, NC area using Duke Energy:

.074 per kwh

This rate is for an all electric appliance house. The bill consists of the number of kwh hours used times the rate plus sales tax. Nothing else is involved.

NY Hudson Valley ( upstate to nyc, but no where really upstate. )

Delivery charge
First 250kwh 5.557 cents
Remaining 4.382 cents

Then, Electricity price 10.789 cents

Then other charges, so my first 1000KWH is

For the first 250 KWH $46.75
For the next 750 KWH $108.4

Subtotal $155.15

Gov hand dipping $12.87

So my first 1000KWH cost me..... $168.02

Man, I have to stop using electricity, this hurts too much to actually see...

StevenE

StevenE

Lovely...

Pacific Gas and Electric Co. warned Thursday that its electricity rates could rise 4.4 percent, on average, in October and another 11 percent in January - the result of high prices for the natural gas that fuels California's power plants. Other utilities across the country have issued similar warnings.

Lovely...

Pacific Gas and Electric Co. warned Thursday that its electricity rates could rise 4.4 percent, on average, in October and another 11 percent in January - the result of high prices for the natural gas that fuels California's power plants. Other utilities across the country have issued similar warnings.

natural gas prices have dropped a bit the last couple weeks, along with crude

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/ngw/ngupdate.asp

last month was a bad month for us electricity wise, as it was very hot and the air quality was horrible due to all the fires around CA so we had the A/C on all the time

In Connecticut, not far from NYC.

0.1806 per kwh, no volume-related price breaks that I can determine. 1000 kwh = $180.60.

I use Dominion for generation which saves 1c-2c per kwh over the utility's "standard offer" and avoids certain related fees. SO if you live here and haven't shopped for a generation provider you are paying even more.

Back