Which Home Automation System?

cpeek

I have been reading/studying the whole home automation concept for almost 10 years. I am finally getting ready to embark on what I think will be an interesting and fun (and probably expensive) process.

I am a Mac user (also an IT guy who does heavy UNIX and works with Windows), so I am leaning towards Indigo for the cost, flexibility, and programming options.  I have a Mac mini available that will run Indigo, so no extra expense there.  I know that this will tie me to Insteon (or Z-wave now that it is supported).  I believe most of the Insteon issues have been resolved over the years, and am thinking it provides a lot for the cost and flexibility plus Z-wave is now there as a backup option.  

I have considered some of the other platforms such as ISY, HomeSeer, etc. but have reservations - don't want to depend on Windows, others are expensive in comparison, several have limited expansion options (e.g. vendor must supply the extensions/expansions/plug-ins), and/or some have poor quality user interfaces. 

Can anyone offer thoughts/input on which system they would recommend and why?

There are many options and components to choose from when it comes to home automation, and there is no one solution that is absolutely superior to others. Most people who have been involved with HA for a while use hybrid systems. I have both Mac and PC deployed for home automation, plus a Raspberry Pi and two hardware controllers. So if you are a Mac person, then Indigo sounds like the right solution to start with. If you reach its limitations you can always add to it later. The only other Mac friendly solution would be Haiku and HAI panel, but HAI has recently increased its prices.

Can't speak to anything other than Insteon and Indigo. I simply LOVE Indigo for its developers and support community, and for the flexibility it offers in integrating not only home automation but audio, surveillance cameras, pool controls - there seem to be plug-ins for everything. I've wired in my Ademco alarm system and Honeywell weather stations, etc.

can't really compare insteon to other protocols so I'll leave that to others.

Back