which lighting interface

sutton7

I want to controll a few lights in a residential and commerical application.

Any thoughts on what is the best between z-wave or UPB, or any others?

Thanks

This has been discussed pretty ad-nauseum, so you should do a search for other threads that include Z-Wave and UPB in them (though of course the 4 letter minimum search length makes this tough.)

Sutton7,
What kind of wattages are you going to need to control and this may force one technology over the other. UPB has higher wattage switches available than does Z-Wave.

Great point.
Thanks for the info.
I would be using some of these on fluorescent lights. I see that Z-wave ZTW100 handles fluorscents lights and at a good price.
I am starting to learn the differences now.
I have done a lot more research because of the above reply, which was great.
Now I am wodering if I should lean toward Insteon.

I am using an Elk M1 controller. I have read that they are close to releasing an interface for Insteon.
I am reading more about Insteon as we speak. I wonder if that will end up being the best solution at this time.

Thanks

sutton7 said:
I am using an Elk M1 controller. I have read that they are close to releasing an interface for Insteon.
The XSP firmware for Insteon was released a couple of days ago.

To use it, you need an Elk XSP serial module and a SmartHome 2414S Insteon interface.

sutton7 said:
Now I am wodering if I should lean toward Insteon.
I am reading more about Insteon as we speak. I wonder if that will end up being the best solution at this time.
I wouldn't pick Insteon unless you want fast-acting switches with good tactile response, outstanding paddle and LED color options, super competetive pricing, and an industry leading thin form factor for ease of installation.

Plus the Insteon switches are just really ugly and cheap looking in the dark - just my opinion but check for yourself before buying. Chris

bfisher said:
but be careful - not all automation systems support Insteon yet...
Actually, it's kind of difficult to find HA software that *doesn't* support Insteon devices--just about everything can at least talk using x10 signalling, and despite the inroads being made by new technologies, no other communications standard has as much compatible software or as many compatible devices as does x10.

If anything, you should be careful about HA technologies that don't support backwards compatibility and interoperability with the vast majority of x10 devices. ;)

Plus the Insteon switches are just really ugly and cheap looking in the dark - just my opinion but check for yourself before buying.

Ugly? I've gotten nice comments about mine, about the high-tech appearance and the nice visual indicator of the dimmer level. I like that I can choose the color of the lights by simply changing a part. Are you sure this isn't just a technophobe talking, someone who doesn't like anything that is "different"?

They don't look or feel at all "cheap" to me, although they are certainly less expensive to buy than competing hardware.

Tom

Back