Which portable touch screen as remote with Elve?

Deane Johnson

I'll post this over at the Codecore forum also, but hoped to perhapls catch someone else over here.

I have been running my Elve software for my home theater and light home automation using a Pronto TSU-2000. I think the Pronto may have bought the farm today. All of a sudden the screen only responds once in a while to a button push. It's 10 years old, so it's served it's sentence.

I am wondering which touch screens (tablets) suitable for using as a remote for a home theater Elve users on this forum might have experience with. I'm not even sure at this point what technologies will work with Elve. I'm in the research mode.

I assume an iPad will, but there must be something smaller that will work also.

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

The iPad has an awesome interface.... but if you want smaller, of course there's the iPod Touch or iPhone.

Well, I went with an iPad3 and it's turned out to be a great choice. The resolution and sharpness of the screen is something to behold.

I'm impressed with how well the Elve Mobile software performs with the iPad as a remote. I thought the concept might be a little tempremental, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Seems rock solid and straightforward which seems to be typical of Elve software.

I had spent considerable time designing touch screens over the past few months in anticipation of moving them eventually to a tablet to use as a remote in my front projection home theater. I thought they might be a bit wobbly to get set up on a tablet, but when the iPad3 connected to the Elve server, I had instant touch screens exactly as I had designed them, and amazingly sharp. Nothing needed fixing.

It sure feels good when something works even better than you had hoped for.

Back