Who? What? Where?

Man you must have stock in the ZipTie company!!! I think I will join Anthony in the garage to breath the truck fumes....

Man you must have stock in the ZipTie company!!! I think I will join Anthony in the garage to breath the truck fumes....

Probably should have stock in them as much as I use them during initial installation ... Doesent Anthony have one of those hydrogen powered trucks? :p

Probably should have stock in them as much as I use them during initial installation ... Doesent Anthony have one of those hydrogen powered trucks? :p
Shoot, not yet but I am playing the lotto (white trash retirement) hoping to get a large PV system installed before the fed's pull back the credit...In the meantime, it's all E150 and at least it's a "peaceful" way to go...

While clearly very well done, God forbid it ever requires service or changes...

Every single screw terminal on the panel is terminated to a 110 distribution block, so if a change ever needs to be made all I have to do is change a wire configuration on the 110 block. The only time the panel would ever need to be removed would be in the event of a catastrophic failure, and in that situation I could just un-snap the terminal strips.

Looks really nice. Please show us another one zoomed out to include the individual cable labels.

For some reason, I am unable to actually upload images here, so I will point you to my website where you can view all the lates images as they are available. I will not be able to work on it this weekend so it may be another week before an update ... :p

Click here for photos!!!
Fair enough. In following your link, I found a couple more photos. Frick, that is pretty. I've pulled the truck in the garage and left it running as there's no way I can top that. Seriously, you've pushed me to another level with your dressing and my client's will be better served (if paying a bit more for time) by it! I've uploaded a couple that show my most recent piss ant work...hanging my head in shame...

Wow, how sad is this...I have the SAME power strip!

--Dan

I used to use twist ties to temporarily secure my cables while under construction. Then I happened across florist's ties in the garden section of a Menard's. They are the green ties with the bumps in this photo. There is a tab at one end with a keyhole slot to catch the bumps. Easy to release to add the next cable. Really cheap, just like me. When the project is done, simple install zip ties and remove the greenies.
ZipTies.JPG

One thing to consider as an alternate to using zip ties (especially on smaller cable bundles) is to use waxed string instead. It will not kink or damage the smaller bundles and you will not have those sharp ends of the zip ties cutting your hands.

I found THIS guide on how to use a clove hitch for wrapping cables. The string I am talking about is the waxed black "ribbon" that is shown in the pic below that.

I'm having a heck of a time finding a vendor carrying that string. We use it at work, but have purchased so much our inventory is just now running out and the people who ordered it years ago are gone! I did find THIS lacing cord, but it is round and not flat (ribbon). :p

I really dislike zip ties for smaller bundles. If you cut some open over time you will see how they made an "impression" on the cable's insulation. They are good for larger wiring bundles though.

Also, make sure you use a very sharp, good pair of wiring snips and get the edge of the snips EXACTLY flush with the zip tie's housing catch before trimming. This will minimize the exposure to sharp edges.

This is a great project and looks very professional Brandon!

You can also buy a tye-wrap installation tool. It cuts the tye-wraps actually less than flush. But I typically just use a pair of nippy cutters. It only takes an extra second to cut them nice and flush.

You can also buy a tye-wrap installation tool. It cuts the tye-wraps actually less than flush. But I typically just use a pair of nippy cutters. It only takes an extra second to cut them nice and flush.
These tools will put to much pressure on smaller bundles (you can't set the pressure low enough).

Nice pics.....I am in the process of installing an HAI system with 60-70 zones and am trying to figure out how to best connect power for the 4 wire zones. I have wired my 2 wire zones as you have but have over 30 4 wire devices.

Any pics of how to best wire powered zones?

Thanks
Paul

Not yet, but I will by the time I am done. We are just getting to the hook up stage when Martin had to go out of town.

Back