Whole home audio

booboo

I am looking to upgrade my whole home audio system to something more modern. We do not use surround sound so the receiver is big and bulky for what it does. I would like to add some speakers and running speaker wire is not possible. We have a built in place for the TV and audio equipment. We are going to be getting a new TV and stand. We really want to keep the audio stuff to a minimal size.

Right now I have a STR-DE985 surround sound receiver that I use the 2nd room feature to distribute audio to 4 areas around the home. I am using dual channel ceiling speakers with in wall volume controls. I have a CD player and a squeezebox for sources of audio. I run speaker wire from the surround sound receiver to a distribution box then to the volume controls and then to the speakers.

I have no idea how to begin this project, any suggestions?

More modern would probably include a receiver with multiple zoned amplifiers. That said in second house I put in the infrastructure for zoned audio including the speakers but today still run the additional audio zones from one large old multimedia receiver.

I did once in the 1990's burn up an in wall audio control during a party using this methodology using a very old Pioneer receiver; actually the largest one that Pioneer every made (weighed a bit - the receiver was about 4 times the normal size of a reciever).
The main stereo speakers were the old Altec Lansing Stonehedge with the 15" woofers and horn tweeters.

Initially in the current home (10 years ago) I went with an RS-232 speaker switcher and the old Leviton Digital chopin digital volume controls to take care of the multiple audio zones from one amplifier.

The Sanos looks interesting but could be very expensive.

I would like to find a distribution HUD that has a digital input, an amplifier and speaker wired outputs? Anything like this exist?

I ended up getting the Sonos. I got a Connect Amp to connect to my existing distribution to 4 location in the home. I got a Connect for my sound bar on my TV, this give us music in the living room. Then a Play3 for the garage. It was a little expensive but well worth the money. I can't imagine it could get any better. Thanks for the advise.

Back