Why are you using a PC for HA ???

I think you will find that most people will use an Elk/Ocelot or some other controller for critical tasks and the PC for tasks that are out of the capabilites of these controllers such as camera/web support.

I was just curious how much a Creston system would be in lieu of say an Elk/PC/MainLobby Homeseer or CQC/Touch Screen typical system (DIY programming problems aside).

It sounds like the Creston is still way beyond the price range of most DIY types.

jhimmel said:
I love the PC based Geovision CCTV software...

Jim H.
Could you elaborate on this? I've seen some posts mentioning this software, but there are so many and sporadic, that I've lost touch.

I'm confused on the whole PC vs Hardware controller question. The PC platform is supposed to be super flexible and scalable to justify the initial cost of the PC but every time I look more closely at it, it turns out you need lots of PCs, not just one. So how does that get economical?

Is there such a thing as a single PC that will handle half a dozen touch screens (that are not themselves PCs), half a dozen cameras, a lighting interface, a telephone interface, TTS, VR, and a security interface? (I wont include media server since you would need that as a separate subsystem either way).

I get the feeling that scaling a PC based system always means buying and maintaining more PCs in addition to the expansion equipment itself.

Is there such a thing as a single PC that will handle half a dozen touch screens (that are not themselves PCs)

It's not a matter of can the PC handle them, it's a matter of someone has to make them. The only people who make such touch screens are making them for their own proprietary systems, AFAIK. The market for such things are just so limited, purely for vertical markets of one sort or another, that no one is likely to make them for anything other than a larger system (for their vertical market) that they can be sold as part of to make the actual money.

The thing is, Crestron does sell such touch screens, but even the small 'dumb ones' still cost about $1K AFAIK, so you aren't really coming out a whole lot better. The computer industry is just going the opposite direction of providing highly flexible portables at lowering prices and sizes.

Here are some numbers pulled from an article about putting in a theater system. This one only requires a small number of of serial ports, so the processer (controller) cost is lower than would be the case for a serious automation scenario. I think it's about as low as the Pro 2 ones would go. I think it would be more like $5K or more in an automation scenario where you'd need 8'ish serial ports, since you'd have to buy an expansion chassis and the boards to go in it.

1 Crestron Pro 2 processor—$3,600
1 Crestron St 1700C Wireless color touchpanel—$2,600
1 Crestron TPS-6000 15-inch wall-mounted touchpanel—$11,000
1 GuiFX Panel Graphics—$349

But, the difference there is that one is supported and with the other you are completely on your own. For the vast majority of people, there would be no comparison. Most people just wouldn't put in a system to control their home for which they have zero support from the manufacturer.

Also some of the Biggest web sites in the world run on computers, business applications use computers so this means a business will trust a computer to keep them running. Why can't we trust a computer to keep our home running??

Sure it has its own issues but we know how to fix those issues and get beack up and going. If my power supply goes out I can run down to BestBuy, pickup a replacement and be back and running with in an hour. If I move to a eBay purchased Crestron and it goes out, I have to search eBay, win the auction, wait for shipping and hope I can transfer everything over with out any support.

Xymox said:
Its also not Joe Q Public friendly - its a real learning curve and Crestron will not help you and there is no programming manual.

As DavidL mentioned..their is no support forums..every dealer/programmer I know is out to make money and they won't just help you for nothing.

Dean Roddey said:
But, the difference there is that one is supported and with the other you are completely on your own. For the vast majority of people, there would be no comparison. Most people just wouldn't put in a system to control their home for which they have zero support from the manufacturer.
So I should pay an $800 premium for each keypad which is an extra $4,800 if I have 6 of them? And what is the definition of support on a keypad? It pretty much works or it doesn't. I might need support on the software side for sending it data but that isn't included in the price of the touch screens anyway.

upstatemike said:
Dean Roddey said:
So I should pay an $800 premium for each keypad which is an extra $4,800 if I have 6 of them? And what is the definition of support on a keypad? It pretty much works or it doesn't. I might need support on the software side for sending it data but that isn't included in the price of the touch screens anyway.
Support is getting help for when you can't get it to work. Bought on eBay, if it doesn't work for you but the seller says "dude, it worked for me, check your connections", you're SOL.

Back