Why won't M1XEP work with a mac?

The applet works with Camino on Mac, so I am thinking it is a combination of browser/JAVA engine (unless Camino ships with a customized java runtime).

Should this issue be logged to Elk?

I'm pretty sure they're well aware of it; it's been discussed here before. IIRC there was supposed to be a big change to the XEP that would fix this issue but I think they (ELK) ended up going a different direction.

I could be wrong, I have a lot of memory leaks these days.

I had a brief discussion with Brad a year or two ago and did some debugging. I don't remember exactly what the problem was, but it was related to the authentication process. The work-around is to disable the username/password, then it will work just fine with only the user code. Unless you are in a special situation it is not likely anyone is going to be hacking your interface. Works great for me once I removed the username/pw. Only remaining problem is the sizing of the output panel with the mac java engine, a note somewhere referenced this as fixed but still a problem for me.

Just tried to contact the Elk on the network using my iPhone, with basically the same result. I get the login name and PW challenge, but don't even make it to the security code screen. Elks do NOT like Apple anything, it seems. Man, did MSFT buy in or something??!!

Will keep you posted...

If you're hitting the XEP in the browser on the iPhone, it won't work because the browser on the iPhone does NOT support Java. Go to the App Store in iTunes and grab a copy of eKeypad Plus or Pro. It gives you many more features, and it works awesome with the M1.

The M1 protocol is open, anyone can write their own interface :D I actually started something in Flash, but got tired of coding :( BTW, have you tried Camino yet?

Right, so if it's open, they should just release the source to the applet since they wouldn't be giving up any secrets. And it would give people a headstart on creating something better.

I had a brief discussion with Brad a year or two ago and did some debugging. I don't remember exactly what the problem was, but it was related to the authentication process. The work-around is to disable the username/password, then it will work just fine with only the user code. Unless you are in a special situation it is not likely anyone is going to be hacking your interface. Works great for me once I removed the username/pw. Only remaining problem is the sizing of the output panel with the mac java engine, a note somewhere referenced this as fixed but still a problem for me.

Thank you very much for the post! Disabling the html user/pass in the Elk M1-EXP configuration fixed the connection issue! Specifically, I am connecting via Firefox on Ubuntu Jaunty with the Sun 1.6.x JVM and applet plug-in installed. I can now FINALLY fully utilize the very expensive piece of hardware I have cursed many times over the last few years. I have to admit, the lack of support of this component made me really question if I would continue to purchase Elk hardware in the future. At the very least, I would ask Elk to please post a bold-faced service bulletin on the install support page notifying purchasers of this component of its limitations.

icellama21, you are my hero!

Thank you very much for the post! Disabling the html user/pass in the Elk M1-EXP configuration fixed the connection issue! Specifically, I am connecting via Firefox on Ubuntu Jaunty with the Sun 1.6.x JVM and applet plug-in installed. I can now FINALLY fully utilize the very expensive piece of hardware I have cursed many times over the last few years. I have to admit, the lack of support of this component made me really question if I would continue to purchase Elk hardware in the future. At the very least, I would ask Elk to please post a bold-faced service bulletin on the install support page notifying purchasers of this component of its limitations.

icellama21, you are my hero!

Just to make sure it's noted there, I entered this issue onto the Elk bulletin board at elkproducts.com as a new topic.

I can honestly say that this is the single most disappointing issue with Elk equipment I've seen, as well. The issue has been known for many months, and it's not like the Mac is some obscure piece of equipment. This is clearly a problem for many people, and there's just no good reason it can't be fixed. Elk has a responsibility here, and I'm hoping their normal level of service and dedication will kick in soon and resolve this. And by the way, I couldn't get Camino to work, either.

Come on, Elk! Need a little help here, please...

I imagine that the ekeypad product will eventually make its way to the mac OS too. Depending on how jayson designed it, this could be as quick as a few hours, worst case is still not that hard as most of the work should be portable. I was considering this as an open-source project a while back but no one was interested, and then ekeypad came out, which is much better than anything I have. My current project is trying to make an elk plug in for the apple TV(unofficially of couse). I've just got the thing hacked and am playing with a sample plug-in now. PM me if anyone is interested and I'll keep you in the loop for updates.

I imagine that the ekeypad product will eventually make its way to the mac OS too. Depending on how jayson designed it, this could be as quick as a few hours, worst case is still not that hard as most of the work should be portable. I was considering this as an open-source project a while back but no one was interested, and then ekeypad came out, which is much better than anything I have. My current project is trying to make an elk plug in for the apple TV(unofficially of couse). I've just got the thing hacked and am playing with a sample plug-in now. PM me if anyone is interested and I'll keep you in the loop for updates.

That sounds like a cool project. If Apple would just let people develop for the Apple TV the way they have for the iPhone there would be a lot more of them in homes I think.

BTW, I couldn't get the XEP Java to work with Camino either.

I am stunned, flabbergasted, dismayed, annoyed, concerned - pick your description - that our friends at Elk are just ignoring this issue on the board. VERY UN-Elk-Like! Spanky, please! This is obviously a problem, and there must be a solution... Restore our faith, man! At least address the issue and give us some hope that you folks are working on it...

I was just able to log into my Elk M1XEP using my Mac Mini. I poked around and was able to control lighting, read status, etc. Do you have your Elk M1XEP set up using the secured or non-secured port?

Regards,
Ultrajones

As someone else pointed out, I think the key here is the user authentication. I didn't have it enabled, which would explain why it worked for me. Do you have it enabled UJ?

As someone else pointed out, I think the key here is the user authentication. I didn't have it enabled, which would explain why it worked for me. Do you have it enabled UJ?

You're right, I missed that part. I do not have that enabled which is why it was working for me. Sorry Madcodger, I'll stop trying to help :rolleyes:

Hey, I ALWAYS appreciate your help, Ultra! In this case, though, the issue is that the XEP needs to allow use with a Mac AND with this basic level of security enabled. Unless I'm missing something there, and someone please chime in if I am, I can't figure out how I can let the XEP sit there "open to the world" without requiring a username and pw challenge, as I want to be able to access it from outside my own network.

Man, this is the first time I can remember being a bit perplexed at how Elk is addressing (or failing to address!) an issue...

Back