Will the HTX2 be able to control the OmniPro controllers?

JonW

I'm currently using Pronto TSU9600's for my remotes and I can control not only all my A/V equipment with it, but I can do two-way communication (via TCP/IP) with my OmniPro II also. HAI made a module for the Pronto remotes that basically gives you the same touchscreen interface that the OmniTouch had on it. You could also modify the code and do your own interface and talk with the OPII as well. This works great for activating lighting scenes at the same time you fire up the TV for a movie or for turning on outside lighting when you fire up the hot tub.

This brings me to the HTX2. I started looking at switching over from the Pronto to the HTX2 for control, but there is no built in functions for controlling the OPII. Sure, you can use the Snaplink app to change your lighting, then launch the HTX2 "remote" app and do your A/V control, but that's clunky and not integrated. I want to control lighting as an integral step of a control macro in the HTX2.

Since the BC4/HTX2 support pre-made "scripts", this is completely doable.

Question to HAI: Will the HTX2 be getting the ability to control the OPII directly?

As a second question to this, will the OmniPro II be able to trigger scripts in the HTX2? I'd like to be able to turn on the morning TV and switch to a specific channel. I'd also like to turn off all A/V equipment when I run my "goodnight" button/macro.

why don't you simply send an omni-link command via the HTX2 to execute what you want. This seems to be the easiest method to accomplish what you desire, right?

why don't you simply send an omni-link command via the HTX2 to execute what you want. This seems to be the easiest method to accomplish what you desire, right?

"Simply"...LOL, that's a relative term! Doing full-on Omni-link via TCP is not a simple task from a PC where you can use the SDK, let alone doing it from a device like the HTX2 that has limited debugging capabilities.

Having thought about this more though, I think I'm going to try and port the ProntoScript (Javascript) code from the Pronto to the HTX2. All the code logic should port over and it will just be the communication objects that I will have to re-code. That will get me functional. Then I will need to try and duplicate the Pronto HAI OmniPro interface in the HTX2. That will be more time consuming since it will need to dynamically show/hide objects based on the connected system.

I think the lack of response from HAI on this is because it could be a slippery topic. You have SnapLink mobile that people can buy to control the OmniPro's. You then have the HTX2 app that is free and that can either run within SnapLink or as stand-alone. If the HTX2 app has the full ability to create an OmniPro interface and provide two-way control of the panels, then you don't necessarily need SnapLink to do your home control. I can see them wanting to keep functionality separate for product sales (SnapLink), but having the two integrated is really what automation is all about.

Have you contacted HAI directly? They are fairly responsive and helpful. Even if they are hesitant to have you bypass buying Snaplink I think they would still answer your questions.

Have you contacted HAI directly? They are fairly responsive and helpful. Even if they are hesitant to have you bypass buying Snaplink I think they would still answer your questions.
Got an answer back from HAI today regarding writing scripts for the HTX2. Their answer is that they don't have any documentation available on implementing two-way scripting.

Yeah, great, I just bought a brick. :angry2:

This subject is stale but...

If you take your script writing skills and link the desired script to the looper macro to pole any status you want from the controller using the 232 protocol you should be able to get what you need from the controler.  Certainly you can write a script to send a control message to the OmniProII controler in response to a button press on your iPhone.  Refer to the HAI OmniLink Protocol document for command structure to do the control and status fetches for communication details. 

I am trying this as well but it sounds like your scripts from the Pronto will give you a head start.

I agree, it's doable.  Seems to me though that HAI should just include a script to integrate the two.  I haven't had the time to tackle this and my Pronto's are still working fine, so I actually just put my HTX2 up in the "for sale" section.

Back