Wind Speed & Direction Controller problem

ksdehoff

Eric:

I've got the Wind Speed & Direction sensor board connected to the Inspeed hardware. I've replaced the controller once because the direction stopped reading - I also noted the temp on that one that failed was stuck at 0 C. So now on my 2nd version I am getting a similar failure - the Wind Speed reads fine, the wind direction comes and goes and the temp sensor is reading 262 degrees F. I'm powering this from a hub and the other device I have on the chain is the temp/humidity/solar sensor (wind controller is first followed by the temp/humidity/solar). The cable run from the hub is about 50 feet, standard cat5e rj45 terminations. Can you suggest any thoughts on what might be causing this problem? I've purchased a 3rd wind sensor board but would like to do something to improve reliability.

Thanks
Ken

Eric:

I've got two wind speed/wind direction setups going. On the new one I have a similar problem - it stops reading occassionally. On my older unit (connected to inspeed) take a look at the data I'm getting
Port=COM3:B900000008693E1F:1 Address=B4000000E74F5626 Family=DS2438 Temperature=262.3438 Humidity=0 Voltage= 10.23 2.4 0 56 |

Specifically the first voltage value is significantly higer than my new controller (4.93) - any idea what could be causing this first value to be that high?

Ken

Ken,

What software are you using?
On the Votlage readings, which one corresponds to which input of the DS2438?

Eric

Eric:

I use Michael McSharry's xapmcs1wire to interface into homeseer -the data line above is from that program's diagnostics. regarding the voltage readings, 10.23 is channel 0, 2.4 is channel 1 and 0 is channel 2. This board is connected to an inspeed. The other new board is connected to the ADS hardware that has channel 0 at 4.93 instead of this 10.23.

ken

Ken,

The voltage should be more along the lines of 4.93, 10.23 is way too high.

Can you use a voltmeter and measure between the +5v Out and Gnd screw terminals?

Also how do you have the board hooked up to everything?

Eric

Eric:

I confirmed that the voltage on the screw terminals is 4.92 - what you would expect. I've attached a screen shot from onewireviewer just to confirm what I'm seeing. It would appear that I've got a bad anemometer board doesn't it. My question since I've had 2 go bad in this spot....what's causing it.

Also - I have the Temp/Humidity/Solar module on the line after the anemometer (all rj-45 connections). Here is the data from that device - looks normal
14:48:28 | Port=COM3:B900000008693E1F:1 Address=7F000000E7683E26 Family=DS2438 Temperature=94.60625 Humidity=16 Voltage= 4.92 1.25 0.04 977 |

Attachments

• anemometer controller ad values.png
    anemometer controller ad values.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 5
Ken,

Not sure how it is reading 10.23 when the voltage is actually 4.92. Do you have the Anemometer connected to the board? If so can you disconnect the Anemometer and see what the readings say.

I will try to see if I can figure out what might be happening to cause this.

Eric

Eric:

I pulled off the inspeed sensor wires and also the Temp/Humidity/Solar - isolating this board. You can see I still have an anomolous voltage reading.... Thanks again for your help - any thoughts on where this is coming from? The actual voltage out of the 5v line is still 4.92...

Ken

Attachments

• anemometer_debug.png
    anemometer_debug.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 5
Eric:

I've also set up the 1st anemometer board I had go bad. This is on a spare hub I have on a very short cable. The 2nd voltage is that same 10.23 although the first voltage is right at 4.93. I'm providing this as an additional data point - I'm not trying to get this one to work, just understand what's going on.

Ken

Attachments

• 2nd bad anemometer.jpg
    2nd bad anemometer.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 4
Back