Window A/C control via Elk?

dBeau

I've got a couple of window A/C units that respond to IR commands. I'd really like to control them with my Elk but am at something of a loss for how to go about it. What can I connect to the Elk that will learn and generate IR? What's the best way to get the IR into the rooms that need it?

If you are a HomeSeer user you can connect any one of the many IR controllers (ie Ocelot, USB-UIRT,etc) to HomeSeer and control this either using HomeSeer or one of the ELK plugins that interfaces the ELK system to HomeSeer. I currently control my one window unit using HomeSeer and the Ocelot interface using the Powermids to wirelessly transfer my IR signal from my wiring closet to my bedroom. I use these same Powermids to control my mini blinds.

I have a compressor in my garage that I control with the Elk M1 over a Z-Wave network. It uses the high-capacity appliance module so I'm sure your Window AC would work fine with it. Just make sure you don't exceed the current/wattage capacity of the Z-Wave appliance switch.

Good luck with your project.

Back