Windows MCE Computer best buy?

tanstaaf1

I need a new computer anyway, so following (I think) Electron's advice to look at refurbished models for value, I've been considering

tigerdirect ad for Gateway 831GM for $500. They also have an 830 version with twice the memory: 1gb for $587, but that involves 3 kinky rebates..which means it is probably not much of a deal if I value my time.

I am also willing to consider other choices such as Winbook 410, which got this CNET "excellent" review.

Any opinions here for prebuilt MCE computers?

FYI I'm hoping to make this the hub of distributing movies and windows media music from yahoo music, etc. I'm ALSO hoping it can serve double duty for windows based HA software (or is it a mistake to have both functions on one computer?)

I could also have someone build a custom MCE computer for me, which would doubtless get me upgraded components, but what is "good enough" given that I am not heavy into TV and don't intend to become so (I don't have cable or "DirecTV" as I've tried them both and found them only "chewing gum for the mind" as FLW warned). So...mostly music distribution to the home and HA applications.

Any recommendations appreciated.

HP z555 Review at PC Magazine

HP z557 Refurbished for $1300 at JR.com

Per the PC Mag review, the z555 set a new standard in off the shelf MCE computers Aug 2005. I am presuming the z557 is better yet, although I'm not clear on the difference. I understand the z555 supports HDTV but only "over the air" and not via cable; perhaps the 557 handles both, I don't know. It does have IR capability, which the el-cheapo gateway apparently lacked.

Anyway, this one is the leader in my mind right now.

---

On a related note, what features do you consider most important in a "media" computer. I know about the importance of a large harddisk.

For a HA computer, what features are most important? I'd guess quiet, low heat/power-consumption, expansion slots.

I played with the z555 @ CompUSA, that's one cool machine! You mentioned you don't want cable support, but do you ever want CableCARD support? Where are you going to locate the machine? I personally do not run any HA software on my MCE machines, but plenty of people do, without any problems (just keep in mind any potential rewiring you might have to do).

electron said:
I played with the z555 @ CompUSA, that's one cool machine! You mentioned you don't want cable support, but do you ever want CableCARD support? Where are you going to locate the machine? I personally do not run any HA software on my MCE machines, but plenty of people do, without any problems (just keep in mind any potential rewiring you might have to do).
I'm greatly relieved to hear you've seen this and think well of it, electron!

I hadn't heard about cableCARD previous to your mentioning it (God, I am *so* out-of-touch regarding state of the art in electronics; I didn't used to be and look forward to closing that gap again).

The review makes it clear this is a very important improvement when it says "Mitsubishi showed off two televisions displaying standard definition cable channels side by side at the 2004 CEDIA Expo. One unit was displaying digital cable via a provided set-top box, the other was using CableCARD. The difference was astounding."

So, yeah, I guess I'd like that -- do you suppose it is or isn't supported with the z555 (does it only require the z555 to have a PMCIA II slot or something more)?

I wasn't trying to say I wouldn't prefer to have HDTV cable support built right into the MCE (perhaps I'll want cable in the future), I was only remarking that its lack in the HP z555/557 (the 557 has twice the memory, at 1 gig) would probably be okay at this time. I do get NetFlix for movies, though, and hope that I'd still be able to view movies in HD if they came that way on the DVD?

If I understand correctly, cableCARD is a PMCIA TypeII card that would allow my MCE to hook into cable in place of a "set top box" if I got cable in the future. Would cableCARD allow me to add HDTV-from-cable capability in the future?

I guess I'm still a little unclear about how, exactly, I should be connecting a windows computer running, say, "charmed quark" in with a MC computer I think will be serving up music & video for the whole house, in with the main HA functions (which I expect will be dedicated hardware ... stargate or, I am thinking now, Elk M1). I've been assuming they'd all be on the network and I wouldn't have too many other things to worry about. I guess that's naive?? Must the various computers be more directly connected?

If I sound lost in space, maybe I am! I imagine we all look forward to a future where I'm able to contribute more to cocoontech than merely "newbie" questions! ;)

I'm starting to read a lot more about HTPC recently since I want to get one this year. However, I am wary of MS Windows DRM resctrictions to fair use, so I'm looking more into Linux/MythTV*. Linux opens to door to include Asterisk there too. And if it proves usable, I might try experimenting with Pluto (whic already has MythTV and Asterisk) to include home automation.

For now I'm looking into building my own PC - othewise I'd have to pay for a Windows license.

*I already read the CableCard primer. I would not yield my fair use rights just for a nicer HDTV picture, so I will try to avoid that road for as long as technologically and legally possible.

elcano said:
...I am wary of MS Windows DRM resctrictions to fair use, so I'm looking more into Linux/MythTV*. Linux opens to door to include Asterisk there too. And if it proves usable, I might try experimenting with Pluto (whic already has MythTV and Asterisk) to include home automation. ...
PlutoHome.com for info on Linux Pluto Smarthome solution apparently rolls HA, entertainment, and security into one big enchilada.

Of course, then I'd be back into something else to learn. Of course, I happen to have my company's old linux file server sitting unused in the room next door. ;)

tanstaaf1 said:
"Mitsubishi showed off two televisions displaying standard definition cable channels side by side at the 2004 CEDIA Expo. One unit was displaying digital cable via a provided set-top box, the other was using CableCARD. The difference was astounding."
Keep in mind that CableCard provides decryption/encryption and use-rights verification only. It does not necessarily provide a better picture. The above quote, though it appears to say that CableCard is providing a better picture, is probably an apples-to-oranges comparison, like digital content along side analog content, ED alongside SD, or something similar.

In the near future, if your set does not contain a CableCard slot, you will simply get a set-top-box that has the CableCard slot.

Also, CableCard-1 is very limited, where as CableCard-2 is not yet available. And CableCard slots available today cannot support the added functionality of CableCard-2.

Back