Windows MCE Vista and Multizone audio

jrussell05

OK, I've been researching the posts here for quite a while. Of course, like everyone else, I have some specific questions and have finally decided to post a few of them.

Here's what I want to do:

1. I want to have multizone audio
2. Control over my Insteon lights
3. Control over my Caddx NX-8E

Here's the equipment I have:

1. One central server PC that will connect to the Caddx and Insteon. It also has a M-Audio 1010LT audio card to provide audio to multiple amplifiers
2. One HTPC in the living room that will be a seperate zone as well.
3. One UMPC or Tablet PC (yet to be determined, suggestions welcome) that will work via WiFi and be the user interface
4. Eventually some Touchpads in the rooms for media control (connect via Cat-5 ethernet, already pre-wired)
5. Windows Vista Ultimate installed on both PCs

Features I want:

1. Control of media and all zones via the Tablet PC or UMPC. I want to be able to brows my library and see album art. I want to be able to play different music in different zones. Not concerned about synchronization.
2. Control of lights and security. Basic control only is fine. Don't need complex macros or anything. Just want to be able to turn stuff on and off.
3. Don't mind spending a little money but it has to work well and be integrated and easy.
That's it really

What I know:

1. I've looked into CQC and MediaLobby and the look a bit expensive for me now.
2. Considering the Girder/Netremote route. However, I understand that I would have to also add J River Media Center for the multizone audio, which adds to the price.

Question:

1. I've already spent money on the Vista/Media Center software. I'm fine with the look and feel of the interface. Is there not some affordable software that can make use of that? I've looked at mControl but I can't see where it does multizone audio well. Most of the software looks geared toward home automation. My focus is mainly on the media aspect.

2. If Media Center is not the way to go. What software is going to give me the best media experience and still have some automation functionality?

I don't mind doing some programming and tinkering but I don't want to burn a lot of time on it.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Hi Jim and welcome to CocoonTech.

I also have a Caddx NX8e and use HomeSeer (though older 1.7 version) to interface it with my home automation system. I believe (have not researched this in a while) that HomeSeer and CQC are the only options that I know of that can interface with that security system. If Cocooners know of other packages that interface with the NX8e please post here and let us know.

Also, I noticed your statement I don't mind doing some programming and tinkering but I don't want to burn a lot of time on it.. Well, to be honest, there is no such magic package that can accomplish this, especially performing all the integration you desire. No matter what package you decide on, it's going to take a lot of work to both learn and integrate it with your system. Luckily people here can help in that process.

Regards,

BSR

Thanks for the advice. I'll check into the HomeSeer. I'm starting to realize that after I buy all of the necessary add-ons to some of these software solutions, I'm near the price of the CQC package anyway.

As for the comment about "programming". I should rephrase. I just don't want to sit down and rack my brain over some code for days just to find out that there was a better solution already out there. I'm sure this is a frustration many have had. I don't mind doing the necessary work to get things up and running. In fact, that's part of the reason I'm going with a DIY type system.

Any words of advice on the portable client? I am pretty set on the Samsung Q1. Like the size and functionality. I don't really want to spend the money for the newer solid state HD version so I'm a little concerned about startup time and battery life. Are these an issue? What about the Tablet PC's like the Viewsonic? Want to keep things at 10" or less.

Thanks again,
Jim

Features I want:

1. Control of media and all zones via the Tablet PC or UMPC. I want to be able to brows my library and see album art. I want to be able to play different music in different zones. Not concerned about synchronization.
2. Control of lights and security. Basic control only is fine. Don't need complex macros or anything. Just want to be able to turn stuff on and off.
3. Don't mind spending a little money but it has to work well and be integrated and easy.
That's it really

1. Use media center extenders at each zone to pull music, video, home automation control interface.
2. mControl on Vista should work fine for you.
3. You already have Vista so you would need to purchase mControl and the devices that you want to control (this is what will be the bulk of your expenses).

I wouldn't recommend doing it with xboxes right now, it won't be forever before they have a real client thats HDCP.

Extenders would be fine, except what I really want to do is control all the zones from a single portable client, ie a Samsung Q1.

Back