Windows Sandbox

mikefamig

I think that this is worth sharing with the group -

Windows Sandbox
Windows Sandbox is a new lightweight desktop environment tailored for safely running applications in isolation. How many times have you downloaded an executable file, but were afraid to run it? Have you ever been in a situation which required a clean installation of Windows, but didn’t want to set up a virtual machine?
At Microsoft, we regularly encounter these situations, so we developed Windows Sandbox: an isolated desktop environment where you can run untrusted software without the fear of lasting impact to your device. Any software installed in Windows Sandbox stays only in the sandbox and cannot affect your host. Once Windows Sandbox is closed, all the software with all of its files and state are permanently deleted.
Windows Sandbox has the following properties:
  • Part of Windows – everything required for this feature ships with Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise. No need to download a VHD!
  • Pristine – every time Windows Sandbox runs, it’s as clean as a brand-new installation of Windows.
  • Disposable – nothing persists on the device; everything is discarded after you close the application.
  • Secure – uses hardware-based virtualization for kernel isolation, which relies on the Microsoft Hypervisor to run a separate kernel which isolates Windows Sandbox from the host.
  • Efficient – uses integrated kernel scheduler, smart memory management, and virtual GPU.
To install Windows Sandbox, go to Settings > Apps > Apps & Features > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off, and then select Enable Windows Sandbox. To start Windows Sandbox, open the Start menu, enter Windows Sandbox and then select it.
Windows Sandbox respects the host diagnostic data settings. All other privacy settings are set to their default values. For more information, please visit Windows Sandbox at Windows Kernel Internals.

It is new with Windows 10 V 1903 update. I installed and ran it  it and it opens a window that looks loke a Windows VM desktop but I haven't run anything in it yet.

Mike.

I played a little with Sandbox.  When I moved on to other tasks I found that VirtualBox was not longer working.  I uninstalled Sandbox, but that alone did not fix the issue.  I had to uncheck the Virtualization box in the BIOS, let it finish booting, and then go back into the BIOS again and recheck the Virtualization box.

Personally here have moved to using Oracle Virtual Box for Ubuntu running Windows VB's only when needed type of stuff and continue to install some Windows apps on PlayOnLinux.

Back