[Blogs] If the shoe fits - A different way to do touch screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Droid

CT Bot
After running a Virtual Server for a few months now, I have really started to appreciate the power that it provides at such a low cost. For the cost of hardware for 1 computer you get the ability to run multiple computers.

I decided to try to take this power to another level over the last little while. I borrowed an EVGA USB Video Adapter from a friend and using the USB over IP software, I passed the hardware to a windows XP virtual environment. I was definitely not expecting it to work, but low and behold, I was getting an extension of my desktop on the hardware monitor. I immediately tried to change the "extend Desktop" to "mirror desktop" and was met with a blue screen.

Then after some more tinkering, I was able to use the built in windows device settings to disable the internal virtual video card and it worked! Considering on eBay you can regularly pick up one of these EVGA adapters for about $50, and an ELO touch screen for $100, that is a pretty low price for a touch screen with full windows functionality where the only limitation is the specs on the host OS.

I think I might be using this for screens around the house…….

This thread is not open. If you wish to respond, please respond using the original blog entry link. View the original blog entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back