Wire / Contacts ?'s

Hey All-

Going to be finishing off a bonus room above my garage and currently in the process of running LV wire.  Since walls are open and I need to run other wire (internet, etc) I figured I might as well pull some alarm cable for the 2 windows and 1 interior door (leading to the rest of the house).  I looked at my existing alarm cable for other windows / doors in the house and it looks like it's all 22 gauge.  I know some of those existing runs have to be 75 to 100 feet which is about the distance (maybe a little further since it is on the second floor max 150) these new contacts in the bonus room will be so I assume I will be OK to use 22 gauge or should I step up and run 20 or even 18 gauge?

Second question is the window contacts are pretty cut and dry and I will probably go with something like Ademco 945T Surface Mount for the windows and was thinking about getting something recessed for the interior door like Ademco 944T.  Does this sound like a good idea?

BTW, panel is a 20P.

Thanks for your assistance....

22 gauge wire is fine.  No need for anything larger.

The Ademco contacts are ok choices.  But you might want to consider a Tane Pill contact rather than the 945T if you want something less obtrusive.  The 944T is a good choice for the door, as long as it isn't a steel door.

Just wanted to bring this post back to life instead of creating a new one since we are just finishing up LV wiring for ethernet, security cams, etc.  My question is, I assume it is ok to run the alarm cable along side electrical cable (120v) even for a long distance?  I have even read its "most likely" ok to run along side other LV cabling (i.e. speaker wire, ethernet, etc) but I am not going to do that. 

I've run Ethernet cable along side HV cable for long distance because I didn't really have any other feasible choice and had no issues. I've done the same with alarm sensor cables as well as data bus type cables too. Again, no issues. YMMV. 

Here put the Leviton media cabinets a couple of feet away from the fuse panel which was in the utility section of the basement.  Some bundles of LV cabling from the attic chase and first floor did follow or were close to the HV conduit.  Been like this now for 13 years and never have had an issue.  Bundles of LV were security (22/4 and 22/2) , LV (12VDC) audio, coax, catXX cabling.

vacationer said:
Just wanted to bring this post back to life instead of creating a new one since we are just finishing up LV wiring for ethernet, security cams, etc.  My question is, I assume it is ok to run the alarm cable along side electrical cable (120v) even for a long distance?  I have even read its "most likely" ok to run along side other LV cabling (i.e. speaker wire, ethernet, etc) but I am not going to do that. 
Put it this way....I work at a site with MILES of LV systems and cabling in close proximity to HV cable (all the way up to multi-phase HV) and all inter-related systems (security, fire, CCTV, etc.) and hardly an issue, including from MRI and other systems that put out very strong RF. Can count the times shielded cable was absolutely necessary on both my hands.

Thanks everyone for your comments.  I am just going to run the alarm cables along side the rest of the electric cables and call it a day.  I believe I have seen previous alarm cables that were originally ran by the installing company when the house was built being ran with electric in my basement.  That has been 10+ years and no issues that I am aware of so I should be good to go.

Back