Wire in series when using DBH?

Sendero

I don't see anything saying that this is not possible, but I want to check before I do it.

My plan is to have 2 keypads downstairs along with at least 5 wired sensors. I bought an Input Expander to put in the crawlspace so I wouldn't have to run the 5 wires up to the attic and then down into the wiring closet. And, I'd have easy future expansion capabilities.

In looking at it now though, I don't really want to have to run 3 separate wires (1 for each keypad + 1 for the Expander) down the conduit from attic to crawlspace. Is it possible to daisy chain the 2 keypads + the Expander on one Cat5 wire that runs from the DBH in the wiring closet?

Sendero said:
In looking at it now though, I don't really want to have to run 3 separate wires (1 for each keypad + 1 for the Expander) down the conduit from attic to crawlspace. Is it possible to daisy chain the 2 keypads + the Expander on one Cat5 wire that runs from the DBH in the wiring closet?
I'm not sure you can do that with the DBH, but worst case you could put that string from downstairs directly into the M1 and use the DBH for a second branch upstairs. Or you could use the DBHR which is designed more for daisy chaining like that. Or, you could put that DBH downstairs and get another one for upstairs. Any of those methods should save you from running more wire. But otoh, wire is cheaper and if you already have conduit and pull strings, it may be cheaper to just run a few more wires.

I think I'll go with the multiple DBH approach and get another one for the crawlspace.

The cost of the wire wasn't so much a concern as the time to do it. I only have one spool of Cat5 so running 3-4 cables would be a major pain since they all have to go up from wiring->attic, across the attic to the side wall, down to the crawlspace, and then at least half-way across the house to the devices. Having a central DBH and XIN in the crawlspace greatly simplifies things.

Back