Wire testing

hucker

I'm 1/2 done with pulling wire and have been careful not over tension or kink them. I'm looking at the massive bundle and just have to wonder what problems are lurking in there.

Before the sheetrock goes in do you test each conductor? Is there a fast way? Do you bring your "system" fully up before the sheetrock (telephone, data, video) I have not planned any time for this and am in a bit of a race with the sheetrockers who follow me.

I have put in security systems in two homes. One where the wiring was already ran for me, and one where we ran the wiring ourselves.

Before I hooked any sensors into the security wiring (keypads, glass breaks, motion sensors, magnetic contacts for doors/windows) I did a leakage and continuity test. In the case where the wiring was already ran for me I found cables opened and shorted in three bundles.

If you can do these tests before drywall is in it will of course be easier to fix. In the case of the Cat5e runs, I just risked it and didn't test the cables until after they were "punched down" (did this with a Pomona cable tester). I had enough runs so if one was bad I could just use another nearby connection. In the case of security wiring I couldn't afford the wires to be bad in any location as only one cable was run to all the critical areas needed.

I just tested the coax cables for leakage after I terminated the F connectors (to make sure I didn't get any ground braids into the center conductor while crimping the connections).

Look to my "How-To" on installing a security system for continuity and leakage tests that should be done. It really goes fast if you have mini clip leads. Also, you should be installing the door and window contacts before drywall anyways so you can test those out as well after checking your cables.

Please keep in mind that a lot of cable damage occurs during sheetrock installation. The wire may test ok now, but when all is done that same wire may not work.

Yes, and in that regard it may help to go around and make sure anywhere you have your cable going thru studs, etc, that there are nail plates there to help minimize any damage by the drywallers.

You might also want to pull a few spare wires to key locations to minimize the difficulty of any repairs. Sooner or later you will use them anyway most likely.

TCassio said:
Please keep in mind that a lot of cable damage occurs during sheetrock installation. The wire may test ok now, but when all is done that same wire may not work.
I second this. I have tested cables before sheetrock only to find damage afterword. If your doing alot of texture or fancy paint, try to test before they apply so that patches to drywall are easier if you have to do any.

I recently had to find a problem in a wall that had been faux painted and the builder told me they would have to repaint the entire wall if I screwed up the drywall. I was lucky and found the problem from the speaker hole this time. Moral of the story, if I had found the problem before paint, it would have been a lot less stressful.

Scott

TCassio said:
Any words of wisdom as to what the common sheetrock damage modes are? I have no problem going to the metal store and armouring things ;) I'll pull some extras with my left over wire.

Chuck

Most wires are usually damaged by screws. Make sure you tack you verticle wires to the center of the studs. On the horizontal wire runs (thru many studs) try and keep the holes in the center of the studs (to avoid screws). If it is not posible to center the holes then attach a metal protector on the face of the stud, like the plumbers use on there horizontal PVC pipe runs. Then pray that they survive the rest of the construction process.

Back