Wireless - Elk/Caddx/Motion

Steve

I just started thinking about how to spice up my Halloween setup this year now that I've got M1 in and I was thinking about using some cheapo motion sensors to trip strobe lights, music, etc. If I put the Caddx wireless receiver in the M1 (NX-416E), are there any motion detectors that would work with it besides the NX-480/481. Didn't want to spend $90 for temporary sensors.

If the M1 supports the W800RF someday soon, you could use simple X10 motion sensors.

I am going to start a poll in the Elk forum to see how many people would like to see support for the W800. Keep in mind that ELK Products adds features based on demand, so it's really important that as many people vote as possible. Thanks!

electron said:
If the M1 supports the W800RF someday soon, you could use simple X10 motion sensors.

I am going to start a poll in the Elk forum to see how many people would like to see support for the W800. Keep in mind that ELK Products adds features based on demand, so it's really important that as many people vote as possible. Thanks!
Ah, so that's the trick. All this time we were asking POLITELY when we should have been DEMANDING!?!?!?!

That would work and looks like it can plug right into an M1XSP serial port expander. There just needs to be I guess the interface of whats coming through the port interpreting it so it can be used in rules, etc. I'm sure this won't happen by Halloween though and also I am looking at having some more permanent wireless devices where I can't get wires so I'm probably going to use the Caddx expander anyway. Is the Caddx a proprietary protocol where you can only use the Caddx brand devices with their expander?

X-10 has four motion detectors for $20 (details HERE) today only. Do you have an RR501 or RF receiver and some appliance modules laying around? Maybe just use this combination for your system.

Why not use a wired sensor? They are cheap and for a temporary install the wire could be layed on the ground.

BrianD said:
Why not use a wired sensor? They are cheap and for a temporary install the wire could be layed on the ground.
That's a good idea. The only problem is I was looking at one near the street which is across the driveway. Having a wire strung across the driveway would ruin the effect.

Caddx and ITI. - They are really the same thing.
Understood, but the question remains is that a closed protocol where only their branded devices work with it? Sounds like it.

X-10 has four motion detectors for $20 (details HERE) today only. Do you have an RR501 or RF receiver and some appliance modules laying around?
Thanks for the heads up on the sale. No, since I was just getting started only x10 stuff I have is a few 23885 Switchlincs. Was hoping to do either wired or UPB for most everything else but I may need to rethink that. Looks like I can buy several x10 motions AND the receiver for around the same as a single Caddx motion.

BraveSirRobbin said:
X-10 has four motion detectors for $20 (details HERE) today only. Do you have an RR501 or RF receiver and some appliance modules laying around? Maybe just use this combination for your system.
Thanks BSR! I just snabbed 4. Never can have enough hawkeyes....

kwilcox said:
BraveSirRobbin said:
Thanks BSR! I just snabbed 4. Never can have enough hawkeyes....
I probably should have posted that in the "Hot Deals" forum, oh well.

Steve,

Did you ever got the Caddx wireless card? How easy was to setup it?

I got one with two keyfobs and I dont know if I'm doing anything wrong, but it is not responding. I installed it as indicated in the Caddx manual and configured as per the M1 manual:

Wireless Setup
  • Receiver tab: assigned Starting Zone Number and Number of Zones
  • Trasmitters tab: Created 2 zones each Enabled, Normal Supervision, Keyfob User ID and Tx ID
  • Keyfobs Events tab: Assigned two keyfobs buttons to Arm/Disarm
Inputs (Zones) - Wireless Expander
  • Configured same zones created in the Setup/Transmitter tab with definition 15=keyfob and Type 0=EOL/Supervised (only option)
The middle red lights blinks constantly, this means that it is communicating with the M1 panel, but the yellow one never lights when I press the keyfob buttons. I tried with both keyfobs.

One detail is that the wireless card didnt have the screws used to fix it to the enclosure (tob part, near the antennas), so I'm not using them. I didnt think this would affect the operation and thus decided to install it.

Any other person can give some feedback about their experience with this card?

Thanks.

I have a GE Caddx 16 zone wireless card - and it works fine (and no issues installing/configuring it) - but I'm using it with Caddx. I am not using it with M1 so I can't help you there.

Have you enrolled the keyfobs through the keypad or if you know the serial numbers through ELKRP?

If you read all the wireless into ELKRP you should see the serial numbers of the Caddx keyfobs. If you only see zero's for the serial numbers, you have not enrolled the keyfobs. Use the keypad and go into the wireless setup menu 14 submenu 3, follow the directions and press the top two buttons on the keyfob to enroll them.

We have found that if you take the Caddx receiver out of the M1 metal enclosure and remote in a few feet away from the M1, you will get better range on the Caddx transmitters.

I entered the serial number via ElkRP, not the keypad. I'l try that one.

I didnt try it before because the yellow LED in the Caddx didn't turn on when I press a button of the keyfob just 1 ft from it. Looked like the card is not recognizing the RF signal at all. Will try the keypad setup now.

Thanks.

Back