Wireless Lock Last User Data

swamiller

I have had Yale and Kwikset zigbee door locks installed on my house for 2+ years now (along with 2 HAI zigbee thermostats).  I've been perfectly happy with the reliability of these locks (minus HAI/Leviton's inability to produce reliable firmware upgrades) when it comes to responding to programming requests to lock or unlock and their reporting status back to the Omnipro when the locks are manually adjusted. My primary desire for these locks is for them to retrieve/report the last user code.  Haiku has a place to display the information under the lock status (which currently says "LAST USER: N/A") leading me to believe the capability exists but HAI/Leviton zigbee coordinator doesn't capture the information.  I have read that the Control 4 version of these locks does capture and report the last user as well as battery status via their proprietary zigbee hub and software.  The Control 4 version also apparently allows programming/manipulation of these codes via their software front end, which would be really nice to have as well.

My question for you guys is about the last user data for wireless locks.  First of all, do z-wave locks report the last user on an HAI system (PC Access)?  If so, which z-wave coordinator will do that?  If not, are there 3rd party hubs out there for zigbee and/or z-wave that would report the last user information that could be tied together with my Omnipro using an application like Homeseer or OpenHab...or some other application?  Are there any DIY type systems (of either wireless flavor) that allow you to interact and program these locks using software?

I am a believer in the "if it works, don't fix it" philosophy but knowing who punched in their code when the door is unlocked and having the ability to manipulate user codes remotely would be a great feature to have.

Thanks!

Most zwave locks report the user code used to unlock it and I use Kwikset zwave locks with HomeSeer and one of their zwave interfaces to add and remove user codes and to report on the use of these codes.  There is a HS plugin that talks to HAI Omni Pro, although I don't know what it is capable of.  Depending on which Kwikset locks you have, you may be able to swap the zigbee module with a zwave one.

Cheers
Al

Thanks Al!  I have a z-wave radio for one of my Yale locks already and I've seen the Kwikset radio's for sale on eBay. I like the functionality of the z-wave device, however, I'd really like to continue expanding my zigbee network if possible.  HAI/Leviton doesn't seem interested in offering anything other than basic (very basic) functionality with the zigbee products they officially support and I haven't read much about how well products from other companies like Smartenit work with the OP2. 

Has anyone has successfully integrated the Smartenit wireless motions or tried to use the Smartenit  ZBPLM interface with an OP2?

Anyone using any other 3rd party zigbee controller/plm with an OP2 via 3rd party software that can utilize the extended user data information for locks and daylight/temp data from zigbee motions? 

Thanks again!
Steve

swamiller said:
Thanks Al!  I have a z-wave radio for one of my Yale locks already and I've seen the Kwikset radio's for sale on eBay. I like the functionality of the z-wave device, however, I'd really like to continue expanding my zigbee network if possible.  HAI/Leviton doesn't seem interested in offering anything other than basic (very basic) functionality with the zigbee products they officially support and I haven't read much about how well products from other companies like Smartenit work with the OP2. 

Has anyone has successfully integrated the Smartenit wireless motions or tried to use the Smartenit  ZBPLM interface with an OP2?

Anyone using any other 3rd party zigbee controller/plm with an OP2 via 3rd party software that can utilize the extended user data information for locks and daylight/temp data from zigbee motions? 

Thanks again!
Steve

OK a few things here. First a Zigbee network (and I believe a Z-Wave network) can only have one coordinator. If you have an Omni, that coordinator is the ZIM. Now the panel can talk to the ZIM, so you never need to pair devices with a ZIM, but the magic still happens there. If you use a ZIM, you can't also use any other hub in that Zigbee network, but you are free to have other Zigbee networks.

Second, Zigbee motion detectors can't be paired with the Omni.  (Again same with Z-Wave).  Its not that Leviton couldn't easily enable it if they wanted, but Leviton doesn't make Zigbee sensors, and the Omni is a UL rated panel, and they can't just allow Zigbee sensors with could summon the police or fire department without lots of testing and certifications.  It ain't going to happen.

Smartenit Zigbee controlled outlets, pool relays, irrigation controllers, etc. work fine with the Omni. Many years ago this wasn't true, but I worked with HAI/Leviton, they bought some Smartenit devices, and now they do work with the Omni.

So the Omni does work with Zigbee locks, Zigbee switches, outlets, and Zigbee LED bulbs (GE, Cree) as long as they follow the "Home Automation" Zigbee profile. In PC Access you can even see the power usage from Zigbee devices that report it, but that is it. Zigbee temp sensors, Zigbee motion sensors, are NOT supported, nor are Zigbee devices only following the Zigbee "Light Link" or Zigbee "Smart Energy" profiles.

Mostly the Omni ONLY follows the minimum to make the device work, like "lock," "unlock," "on," "off," "bulb at 50%," etc. Don't expect support for optional or proprietary extensions.  Honestly, the Omni is pretty basic.  For example like I said the Omni CAN tell how much power a device plugged into a Zigbee outlet uses, but then what do you expect it to do with the "380watt" info?  No real math in the Omni Pro II, but maybe the Omni Pro III. ^_^

Back