Wiring Cat6 cable directly to switch pros/cons?

I have a couple of those but they're at the job site - I'll be back there mid next week.

I really like the cleanliness of patch panels.  In my current house, all wiring was run to a SMC that was undersized (20" can) -  I actually moved it to a 12U wall mount cabinet (and installed a 50" SMC above the 20") that houses the router, switches, and a couple other items (including automation PC) - out of pure laziness I used a 16U keystone pass-through to take the original RJ45 ends and terminate them to a patch panel.  It gets the job done for now; when I move out I might very well move it all back to the 50" CV can.

pete_c said:
Here I use the Leviton modules with the punch downs in the front.  These are around 2" or so high.

attachicon.gif
LevitonCat6.jpg

Found this one googling

The Legrand one is 1.7" high.

Legrand

attachicon.gif
legrandCat6.jpg
Thanks Pete....like the Leviton you suggested. Nice to be able to connect from the top, be a nicer installation solution....will look into them further....

Regards,

Fleetz

Yup; here on the 42" Leviton panel none of the catXX cables go into the panel from the top, sides or bottom.  It is mounted on a piece of plywood with 2X4 wood braces.  The cabling goes behind the wood between the 2X4's and out a hole punched out in the can where the patch panel is.  The only place you see the cables are on the top near the ceiling / where the wires are dressed.  (bundled).  I did exceed the 24 port capacity of the switch / Leviton multiple tiny patch panels way back.  The above noted I am using short hooded (which I do not like) patch cables to the switch.  The cover fits over the Leviton mini patch panels with room to spare.  The network switch / LED's face down making it it a bit difficult to see the LED's but its not really that much of an issue as I went to a tiny managed Gb switch there.  Nonetheless these are made to fit in the can with the top (lid) on.  Outside of a can they look nice; but expensive for their port capacity (24/12 ports /  total spend = $port).  Similar sort of to the tiny 24 Gb port managed switch fitting (DIY fitted) into a small space in the can thing you see folks doing here.  ((24 Gb managed ports tiny space /  total spend = $port)).

I did exceed that 24 port capacity a while ago, going to the outside and adjacent to the can in two locations.  One location now is just a rack with servers, another switch, routers et al which nearby but some 25 feet away now in a "server section".  Note this is only what I did and mostly cuz I had the space to do it.  (I am close to 1/2 of a class c of network devices on this network and it is a bit much for a house I guess).

The other house and mostly due to much less space and WAF fit everything in one closet (2 cans) which is in a closet in a closet.  There the can is very tight.  I did put the wireless access point outside of the can.  Its been a few years now and I did push on the space.  Its not easy to get to the LV stuff, servicing it a real PITA.  But it looks nice and very "pleasing" to the eye (well the WAF too) and I never have to service it and I do not need to change anything with it.  

Well I lost the wireless AP (access point) last year which is out of the box (can). I had pushed the power on the radio to some 100mW versus the off the shelf 25mW.  I really didn't need to.  Replaced it and set the power to 40Mw. (and that is probably too much).  The AP though was connected to a wireless weather station "server" (which was connected to proprietary wireless to the weather station on the roof).  I did shut off the wireless piece of the server and just put the server in the closet connecting directly to the switch with a wired network connection.  I should have done that in the first place.

Still struggling with a solution.

I think the best I can come up with at the moment is using 4 x 47611-C6 ( thanks Pete)

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=47611-C6&section=39700&minisite=10251

Can not find a Leviton 4 module low profile bracket. I might have to look at the type of patch cables, the normal ones I use (premade) are two stiff to get any reasonable radial bends that meets best practice. Thinking I might use Platinium Tools EZ connectors and make my own and not fit strain reliefs rather some soft rubber boots. This I have estimated will pick up around an inch or 25mm which may well be the difference between fitting it in or not.

Regards,

Fleetz

Yup; here (home) have switched much from cat5e to cat6 patch cables.  They are a tad stiff.

Relating to the pictured Leviton mini patch panel I do have issues relating to the boot at the end of the cable; but never touch them. 

Just pulling a bit on the cable does lift but not disconnect the soldering joints on the mini patch panel. 

I think though its just the plastic RJ-45 socket that is "lifting".

Back