Wiring PIRs and Glass break Det. to ELK M1G

f344

3 years ago I bought an ELK M1g system and have slowly been working to get it going.

I’ve got the keypads talking to the ELK.
The Elk talking to the computer via the IP interface
I have 1 magnetic door sensor talking to the ELK

That is all the good news…

I have 4 GE PI6000 PIR units that I can’t get to work. If I connect the plus terminal on the PIR to the plus on Z1 and the neg on the PIR to the neg on Z1/2 with no resistor I get 4.1 unviolated and 5.2 volts violated. These voltages seem to be outside of the target ranges for the ELK. If I put the resistor on either side of the PIR end I get a fast blinking light on the PIR.

Next I am going to try and get some IntelliSense FG-1625RFM Glass break detectors to talk to the ELK. These look like they are going to need to connect to one of the ELK-M1DBH hub. Is that right?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

3 years ago I bought an ELK M1g system and have slowly been working to get it going.

I’ve got the keypads talking to the ELK.
The Elk talking to the computer via the IP interface
I have 1 magnetic door sensor talking to the ELK

That is all the good news…

I have 4 GE PI6000 PIR units that I can’t get to work. If I connect the plus terminal on the PIR to the plus on Z1 and the neg on the PIR to the neg on Z1/2 with no resistor I get 4.1 unviolated and 5.2 volts violated. These voltages seem to be outside of the target ranges for the ELK. If I put the resistor on either side of the PIR end I get a fast blinking light on the PIR.

Next I am going to try and get some IntelliSense FG-1625RFM Glass break detectors to talk to the ELK. These look like they are going to need to connect to one of the ELK-M1DBH hub. Is that right?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Motion detectors typically require four wires, two for power, and two more for contacts. The two power wires contain 12V and power the sensor, the other two are a contact from the sensor. The polarity of the contacts usually makes no difference, but you should put the EOL resistor in series with it if you have enabled EOL resistors for that zone. Ideally, the EOL resistor should be located in the motion sensor.

Let's back up for a second here....
This is a 4-wire connection; the plus and minus should be for power, not the zone wiring.

No, that is not right. Again, these require power so its a 4-wire connection to a zone input. The DBH is for the databus.
I just installed these sensors in my ceiling recently and I do like the way they look and perform; they're real sleek.

Thanks Ano that got the PIRs working. You just gave more progress in 1 post than I've done on my own in 2 years!

I am pulling the power from the VAUX and Neg down there between the telco seazed led and the power sw 1. IS that the best place to pull it? It seems like there are going to be a bunch of wires all ganged down there if I want to run several PIRs.

Thanks again.

Frank

Motion detectors typically require four wires, two for power, and two more for contacts. The two power wires contain 12V and power the sensor, the other two are a contact from the sensor. The polarity of the contacts usually makes no difference, but you should put the EOL resistor in series with it if you have enabled EOL resistors for that zone. Ideally, the EOL resistor should be located in the motion sensor.

Thanks Ano that got the PIRs working. You just gave more progress in 1 post than I've done on my own in 2 years!

I am pulling the power from the VAUX and Neg down there between the telco seazed led and the power sw 1. IS that the best place to pull it? It seems like there are going to be a bunch of wires all ganged down there if I want to run several PIRs.

Thanks again.

Frank

and that is correct.

OK I am beginning to see. I ran cat 5 cable and thought I could just get power and run data to the ELK via the connectors on the M1DBH. But that is not correct. I need to just use 4 wires and connect to power and the appropriate zone.

Let's back up for a second here....
This is a 4-wire connection; the plus and minus should be for power, not the zone wiring.

No, that is not right. Again, these require power so its a 4-wire connection to a zone input. The DBH is for the databus.
I just installed these sensors in my ceiling recently and I do like the way they look and perform; they're real sleek.

OK I am beginning to see. I ran cat 5 cable and thought I could just get power and run data to the ELK via the connectors on the M1DBH. But that is not correct. I need to just use 4 wires and connect to power and the appropriate zone.

if you already have the wires installed you could use them. the size of the wire is not what you should be using since cat5 is 24 AWG, but you could double the wires. take each pair, blue and white blue, orange and white orange, green and white green, brown and white brown, and twist them together, use one pair for (-), another for (+), another for zone common and the last one for the zone.

Thanks to you guys, I am up and running. I'll use the idea of pairing the wires on the CAT 5.

Thank you all!

Frank

if you already have the wires installed you could use them. the size of the wire is not what you should be using since cat5 is 24 AWG, but you could double the wires. take each pair, blue and white blue, orange and white orange, green and white green, brown and white brown, and twist them together, use one pair for (-), another for (+), another for zone common and the last one for the zone.

Back