*** XEP Dynamic DNS & Email Issues.

Mp333

I have setup a account with Changeip (nic.changeip.com) to setup the DDNS for the XEP. User, Password and Host name is filled in. Upon clicking the Test button I get an error say the Test Failed - Could not resolve URL/IP address.

Also have an hotmail account. I have tried both Server: smtp.live.com @ port 25 & POP3.live.com @ port 995 no emails when the test button is clicked.

The info has been to M1 and rebooted several times. Just wondering if any body had any success with Hotmail.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The M1 doesn't support encrypted email, which live.com requires. Search the forum for stunnel and you will find one way to fix the issue, and examples of providers that don't require encryption. Also POP3 is used to receive email, SMTP is used to send.

Your DDNS test most likely failed because you didn't fill in the host name correctly. Double check your account with ChangeIP and make sure there are no extra spaces or punctuation.

After reading on ELK's website and members feedback. I have switched to AOL since I had an account with them. Also recommended by ELK. Still no go. Not sure what I may be doing wrong.
So here are the new settings.

Email
(Also tried aim instead of aol in all applicable field).
Server:smtp.aol.com / Port 25. Also tried 465 & 587.
From Email: *****@aol.com
Also have user name and password.

DDNS
I have checked all the info - host name, spaces, punctuations. Still no go.

IP: nic.changeip.com
User:******
pass:******
Host:******.changeip.net

Thanks

I'm tempted to say that your M1XEP is not connected to the internet, but try to ping ******.changeip.net as a test and check your port forwarding settings on the router when it fails.

It pings fine. XEP is connected I think as I can hit the Time server and update the time with the Test button.

So I finally got it to work....Took a bit.
The "Get DNS Now" button under TCP/IP was not doing anything. I specified the DNS address found in the cmd Prompt ipconfig/all. Also can be found in your Router as well. Look for it. Its there.
It started to work. Email is setup with AOL and works fine. Used AOL instead of AIM for ip and email address.
As far as DDNS I got it to work with changeip and no-ip.

Here is a suggestion to bulletproof your XEP setup....

Always use DHCP. DNS name resolution will always work and in total, you have less variables.

Reserve the XEP's IP address in your router by mapping it to the MACID of the XEP. All new routers support this feature. Besides, you will be in the router to configure port forwarding in the router. If you decide to change the IP address of the XEP later on, you can do it from the router and never touch the XEP again.

Back