xpcgear.com customer database compromised?

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I just received an email from "Paypal security" to call this certain phone # , so I can update my information. Since I use unique email addresses for each email transaction, I was able to track it down to an order placed sometime last year on xpcgear.com (external USB IDE enclosure). So this either means they sold the email addresses to crimininals, or their store has been compromised. I guess I will have to get in touch with them, but I know some other Cocooners have ordered from them in the past as well, so consider this a heads up.

How is that you use unique address by transaction? Can you expand? Do you create aliases?

I create unique credit card numbers for each transaction, which is very easy with MBNA ShopSafe and secure in case of DB compromises.

for those of you who don't use disposable email addresses, try http://www.spamgourmet.com

once you setup an account, you can create addresses on the fly, ie:

[email protected]

ebay is the identifier for this address
2 is the number of emails that it will forward to your real email address before eating the rest
youraccount is the account name you create @ spamgourmet

I indeed create aliases. That email address is the old format, the new format is an encrypted hash to make it impossible to guess, and still keep it short.

You can also create email aliases at www.cjb.net.

You can have 100 free email addresses that forward to your regular email account ( or anywhere you want).

I use them when I need to supply an email address to a company that I haven't done business with in the past, or may be slightly leary of.

If I start getting spam etc, I just delete that email address.

Makes it real easy to track which companies sell or "lend" their mailing lists out.

Did I mention it was free?

Just received this email:
Dear Valued Customer:

Thank you for shopping at xPCgear.com! It has come to our attention that a few of our customers have received "phishing" emails which inquire about personal information regarding a fictitious account with PayPal or Chase. These emails are not from Chase or PayPal nor are they from eXtremePCGear.com (xPCgear.com). Please do not click on any links or respond to the email in anyway.

Please rest assured that we have not, did not, or will not sell, share or rent information to a third-party outside eXtremePCgear.com. We are currently working with Yahoo! as they are the server for all of our customer information to determine how a third-party can access such sensitive information such as your email address. We deeply apologize for this situation and we thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We will update you once we receive more information in regards to this. Again, please entrust that our Privacy Policy is still
intact:

"eXtremePCgear.com understands our customers' concerns regarding the privacy of the information they share with us. We hold our customers, and the information they share with us, in the highest regard. We do not sell, share or rent information to anyone outside eXtremePCgear.com.
Maintaining your privacy is critical to us."

Thank you again and please feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Sincerely,

xPCgear.com - Service
[email protected]
1-877-XPCGEAR

At least they responded pretty quickly, and looks like they didn't sell the data.

About 6 mo ago, someone broke into pay-pal and stole my account information, man was it a pain to clean up!! I will NEVER EVER use Paypal again!!

Steve

Back