Yale Locks Zwave

I have a 8200ms average timing in the zwave network with this lock and cant get it to work without the laptop in the same room.
Its a small house with about 30 devices, everything else in the network works fine except the lock.
It happens to be within 10' of two switches that work fine. Does the lock not use the switches as a repeater?
Anyone else happen to get these to work?
Im thinking about trashing the zwave locks and convert to zigbee but not sure if it will work 60' from HAI panel (I would only have two devices to start out).

Are the switches you have installed capable of beaming secured messages?  Not all switches are capable of this function.  See this chart as a good starting place, on the left look towards the bottom for "Supports Z-Wave Lock "Beaming" Technology"

WTF, Leviton doesn't support beaming yet the website says they integrate seamlessly? Give me a break!
I guess this is a way to sell more devices since all my older Leviton devices don't support locks.

Yale Real Living residential access control locks integrate seamlessly into the HAI by Leviton security and automation control systems, said Jay McLellan, president of HAI by Leviton. With our systems, not only can the door be unlocked remotely for a contractor or maid, but a surveillance camera could be viewed beforehand to ensure the proper person is at the doorway.

batwater said:
Are the switches you have installed capable of beaming secured messages?  Not all switches are capable of this function.  See this chart as a good starting place, on the left look towards the bottom for "Supports Z-Wave Lock "Beaming" Technology"

I would take that chart with a grain of salt at this point.  I don't believe it's been updated in quite a while.  This post on the HS board may provide some additional info: http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.php?p=1096280&postcount=35

Cheers
Al

I have four Yale locks and they all work fine with my OmniPro two with several of these what I call repeaters around a large house-- Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Range...AEON LABS

chasers03 said:
I have four Yale locks and they all work fine with my OmniPro two with several of these what I call repeaters around a large house-- Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Range...AEON LABS
This looks like the best solution yet, what is the range of these thru walls? The range of my door lock to the usb dongle is 20' with no obstructions. My HAI has a VRCOP 3 serial, not sure about the range of this but it won't communicate with the lock 30' away thru 3 walls.
The dongle works thru one wall about 15' away.
I'm guessing zig bee won't work much better than zwave thru walls.

Many zwave products from Leviton in the last year or so do support beaming. I currently have 6 of their devices that support beaming installed.

I don't know the distance number that you ask. It seems small as I purchased 10 of these very small range extenders for my 4700 square-foot house. I also used two lamp dimmers which support beaming.
I tried zigbe for my one Yail lock to begin with and was very disappointed with its distance. However I did not use any kind of a range extender and was expecting way too much perhaps 50 feet?

I have been hoping that Yale and Leviton would get together to ID The lock code being put in the program. Disappointed that I cannot tell who is operating the lock.

I can't speak about ZWave, but for Zigbee, there are three characteristics that you should be concerned with, time, range, and forwarding ability. For battery operated devices to have reasonable battery life, not only is power limited, but the number of transmissions has to be limited, as is the time between device transmissions. Battery operated Zigbee devices work differently than 120V powered devices. Yes, their power is limited, but so is their ability to receive and transmit packets from other devices.  From my experience two battery operated Zigbee devices have a hard time talking to each other.

Also, from my experience, the HAI ZIM behaves like a battery device, and not a 120V device, meaning communicating from a lock (battery) to a ZIM (battery) is very problematic. The answer is to include at least 1 120V Zigbee device in your house. This works well: http://smartenit.com/product/zbre/ or it could be a Omnistat2 with Zigbee, it doesn't really matter, a 120V lamp module works too.  These devices will store and forward from battery devices which makes a large difference.  Add a few of these 120V devices, and even in a very large house, range shouldn't be a problem.

Ok, I installed 5- Aeotec Zwave extenders and changed a lamp module that has beaming support.
Did a network repair and updated the HAI controller.
The lock will not communicate with the HAI controller or the Levition USB dongle.
I'm using the Vizia RF installer tool. When I initiate a "Test Link", it returns 100% from the USB to the Door Lock but will still not unlock the door. It will not return anything from the HAI controller to the door lock for some reason.
I have a feeling the USB is trying to use some devices that do not support beaming.
When I get network information from the lock, it lists several neighbors that do not support beaming, does that mean the lock is trying to use these devices to network?

Actually Z-wave uses a lower frequency so should have greater range than Zigbee.  Stats say 100 feet for Z-wave and 30 feet for Zigbee - line of site, no obstructions but how often does that happen?? 

Zigbee uses a higher frequency hence the reduced range over Z-wave. The ability to communicate over a greater distance all depends on a lot of factors including transmit watts and receiver sensitivity.

Regarding frequency and range, a good example is with wi-fi networks; a 2.4GHz wi-fi network has greater range but slower data speeds than a wireless 5GHZ wi-fi network so the closer to the access point, the higher the frequency the faster but farther away, you won't be able to connect at all unless you switch to a lower frequency.   You can test that with a laptop, tablet or phone.  That's wi-fi technology but you get the idea in the case of Z-wave vs Zigbee....  In the case of Zigbee, I believe Zigbee primarily operates at 2.4GHz like most everything else - bluetooth, Wi-Fi but also uses 915MHz like a garage door openers, car remotes, etc... but Z-wave I believe is at 908MHz so has greater range but slower data.

So - the real question is - what works?  Well, slow data means slower to react whereas faster data means faster to react, but again, if you are at too great a distance, no data is transmitted, so slower data stream with longer range may be better (but faster would be better if possible).

Both Z-wave and Zigbee can work over a greater range provided they can "network" to enough of their own devices and provided all those devices will network with each other.  You can surmise then that Z-wave is going to be your best shot for longer distance links where you have fewer networked devices (relaying devices) nearby.  Since power consumption and device transmission power go hand in hand, weaker batteries, weaker/shorter distance so keep that in mind also with devices in longer service or higher usage.  Encryption further helps but hinders this problem as well because now more power is required for decryption (but necessary to protect devices in the network).

Unfortunately, because so many other devices operate in the same frequency ranges including phones, tablets, pc's, sensors, etc. and a neighbor's house may also be close enough to "network", you could end up with interference or confusion.  I am reminded of a wireless hallway contact sensor that thought it was being jammed whenever the neighbor's motion detector sensed motion.  A real pain to troubleshoot btw.... Your Z-wave devices need to "see" only the ones you want seen.

I like the diagram on the Zigbee site that also provides some specs. Take a look at the pic.

http://zigbee.org/zigbee-for-developers/network-specifications/zigbeepro/

Hopefully this will help you resolve the issue you are having but sounds like you have a mess.

Deaf if I remember correctly I had to carry my desktop computer with the dongle (because I don't have a laptop) around to each of the devices to engage them and set up the network. The Levaton Z wave set up program is not very user-friendly. Hang in there.

Back