Z-Troller™ Z-Wave® Controller/PC Interface

They just need to price it 50% lower. I rather have a remote that does the same thing and a Intermatic stick. But I am sure somebody will like it. Too bad its almost November and no cool devices that match X10 breadth and price are out yet for Zwave.

They just need to price it 50% lower?

It's both a controller and an PC interface so at $139 is seems it's a bargain.

Well, it's really only half-a-controller . . .

It can add/remove/update devices like the previous remotes, but it can't really act as a remote control.

But if it works as described, it certainly could be a step forward in reliability. The ability to rediscover the network, either for one node or all nodes, may be worth the price if you ever recover from the sticker-shock.

This opens the possibility of HomeSeer automatically recovering the network if a node should fail, or other routing problem occur.

Rupp said:
It's both a controller and an PC interface so at $139 is seems it's a bargain.
Its a controller? Can I use it instead of an Elk M1? Sorry, its no controller. Its not even a remote. It is basically a better piece of Hardware Homeseer needed to make up for the crap out there. I do not know why they just dont make it a remote with bluetooth/wifi so it can talk to your homeseer box and still act like a remote. It is a 140 dollars so there should be no problem tagging another network into it.

Tom

MeSteve said:
So whos gonna spring first? I want it, just not willing to pay that much.
I'm considering it, but waiting to hear opinions from some of the first takers. If it does do what it says about removing dead nodes and rediscovering network, this would be a great tool. Such a pain to move a lamp around now because you have to remove its module and the re-add it at the new location. This claims I should be able to move it, send out a rediscover network signal and everything gets set right. :) Plus the firmware issue would be great, my master remote is still the old original firware ACT one so I can't do any of the newer advanced functions with it. Have to see how many original first takers reply with good results from it.

The Pod

I am considering it as well but I want to wait to get some feedback on it first. I do not want to be the first one to test it. I guess you could sell you old remote and controller on E-bay to recoup some of the cost. Hell, I have two controller, Homepro and Intermatic.

- Mike

The Pod said:
MeSteve said:
So whos gonna spring first?  I want it, just not willing to pay that much.
I'm considering it, but waiting to hear opinions from some of the first takers. If it does do what it says about removing dead nodes and rediscovering network, this would be a great tool. Such a pain to move a lamp around now because you have to remove its module and the re-add it at the new location. This claims I should be able to move it, send out a rediscover network signal and everything gets set right. :) Plus the firmware issue would be great, my master remote is still the old original firware ACT one so I can't do any of the newer advanced functions with it. Have to see how many original first takers reply with good results from it.

The Pod
A few points or clarification:

1) Z-Troller is a Z-Wave 'primary controller', meaning you can use it to add/delete Z-Wave devices to/from your Z-Wave network. It is not, however, a Z-Wave remote control. If you want handheld remote control of your Z-Wave devices, you'll still need a ZTH100, HA07C or HA09C for this. You can easily copy your Z-Troller information to any of these remotes through HomeSeer HS2. Once done, these devices will act as Z-Wave 'secondary controllers'.

2) It is not possible to 'replicate' a primary controller by copying information from an existing primary controller. That can't be done with any device on the market. So, anyone upgrading to the Z-Troller will need to set up their Z-Wave network again from scratch. Sorry! :(

3) The 'optimize network' function works by issuing a Z-Wave command to rediscover its neighbors to each and every Z-Wave device on the network. You can alternately issue this command to individual devices.

There's a Z-Troller FAQ up on our message board at this link:
http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t...light=Z-troller

-Mark

HomeSeer Tech

Hi Mark,

Just to clarify...

Actually, you can indeed "replicate" a Primary controller, in a number of ways. One way to do this is to use the "controller shift" function of the controller, which we call "transfer primary role".

You can do this today with our shipping ThinkEssentials software, with the Z-Wave PC SDK, and with the Wayne-Dalton Wireless Gateway (portable Primary remote controller). All three of those products are Z-Wave Certified and in use on the market.

If you're looking for a great Primary controller (which can do pretty much anything but remove failed devices and rediscover the network), pick up the Wayne-Dalton wireless gateway (called the "Gateway Module") today at:
http://www.learcar2u.com/accessories/

If you have a notebook, I personally recommend using the ThinkEssentials software with the HA22 USB stick--or roll your own solution using the Z-Wave PC SDK. You can rediscover the network (or individual devices), remove or replace broken devices, or transfer the Primary role over to another controller.

[shameless plug] You can download the software today:
http://tech-home.com/p4/ThinkEssentials-St...oduct_info.html

Chris
[ControlThink]

macromark said:
A few points or clarification:

1) ... You can easily copy your Z-Troller information to any of these remotes through HomeSeer HS2. Once done, these devices will act as Z-Wave 'secondary controllers'.....

-Mark

HomeSeer Tech
Easily??? Not! If I have my Elk M1G with an Elk-M1XZW installed at one end of the house and my HomeSeer PC with Z-Troller at the other end. I can not "Easily" copy the network information from the Z-Troller (Primary) to the M1XZW (Seconday) without carrying the HS PC and controller to the other end of the house to assure the two devices are within close enough range for HS to send the copy information. The Z-Troller itself is quoted as being a portable device to manage a Z-Wave network, it really needs a button or function on it to "Copy" network information to a Seconday device which may not be portable.

Anyone else agree with this?

The Pod

Pod:

I think what he is saying is once you rebuild your network w/the troller (New Primary) you would walk over and copy it. The unit operates on Batterys as well a plugin power. This also works when adding new devices to your house. You would disconnect it from the PC/HS and learn the new devices and then reattach and sync w/HS.

I am not 100% positive about that but I guess Mark or Rupp could confirm

- Mike

Back