Z-Wave and Harmony 890

jpkishere

Just got my harmony 890 remote and I like it so far, my understanding is that it can directly control Z-Wave devices..

For now, I just want to control a single lamp in the house to see if the remote can turn it on / off..

For this to happen what do I need? and where to purchase..

jpkishere,

As I understand it, the software for the Harmony 890 hasn't been updated to control lamps yet. I hear that it has been updated on the Monster Central remotes (from Monster Cable) though, and that the 890 software update is coming next month...

Like Rupp said, you can get some plug-in modules or light switches online or you can get them at your neighborhood Lowes store, etc.

Chris

Chris,
We have 3 Lowe's and 4 Home Depots and neither carry any "automation" products. This must be a western and north eastern US thing?

ChrisWalker said:
jpkishere,

As I understand it, the software for the Harmony 890 hasn't been updated to control lamps yet. I hear that it has been updated on the Monster Central remotes (from Monster Cable) though, and that the 890 software update is coming next month...

Like Rupp said, you can get some plug-in modules or light switches online or you can get them at your neighborhood Lowes store, etc.

Chris
chris

where did you find that out? i just happened to be browsing logitech's website and saw an FAQ where they say they support z-wave products..

I take that back.. Here is a snippet from the website:

Currently, we are still putting the finishing touches on the Z-waveTM section of our software. This will be completed in Septmeber. Once the Z-waveTM section is complete you will be able to control your Z-waveTM devices with the H890. At that time we will also be updating the user manual and creating FAQs to assist you with this.

Well, I guess that leaves me some time to purchase some z-wave items..

i don't think i have seen then in lowes or HD either - live in NC...

Squintz said:
Where did you get your harmony from?
I actually got mine from Dell's website - got a REALLY good deal, my guess is that is was a price mistake they didn't catch.. I paid less then 150 for it shipped..

The best price I had seen prior to that was Amazon for like 250 shipped..

I don't know any way of putting this lightly but I think your remote may not be the Harmony 890 Pro. As far as I know only the harmony 890 pro and harmony 895 are z-wave enabled and I don't think either of them are for sale yet. Are you sure you got the harmony 890 pro from dell? I can only find the non-zwave harmony 890 version of the remote on their site.

Squintz,

The Harmony 890 is Z-Wave enabled. The "Pro" version lets the user control more lights, etc. etc. But the 890 has the chip in there. It comes with an RF extender that's Z-Wave and has the logo on the side.

The best deal seems to be on Amazon.com.

Chris

Rupp said:
Chris,
We have 3 Lowe's and 4 Home Depots and neither carry any "automation" products. This must be a western and north eastern US thing?
I think it is a limited roll out at this point. There is one Lowe's in the SF Bay area that has the products. Located in Fremont at the Auto Mall Parkway store. Look in the section where you find the Intermatic timers and Malibu lights.

I don't think that you will find product at Home Depot.

I spoke with Logitech regarding the 890 back in the spring and they told me at that time they had not added support for any other Z-Wave devices beyond the RF extender. At that time they stated that they had support for other devices on their roadmap. Fall was the time mentioned back then.

I have seen the 890 for sale at Best Buy definitely in the Magnolia store within a store. $399 is what I remember.

George

Squintz said:
I don't know any way of putting this lightly but I think your remote may not be the Harmony 890 Pro. As far as I know only the harmony 890 pro and harmony 895 are z-wave enabled and I don't think either of them are for sale yet. Are you sure you got the harmony 890 pro from dell? I can only find the non-zwave harmony 890 version of the remote on their site.
I didn't even know they had a Pro version, I will have to look at the box when I get home.. but it sounds like it has zwave support anyways..

Squintz said:
I did a little digging in my notes and this is what I found.

Harmony 895 - United Kingdom Version of the Harmony 890, Z-Wave enabled

Harmony 890 Pro became the Harmony 890, Also Z-Wave enabled. The H890Pro was announced last year around this time along with the H880 (no z-wave)

Why the difference between 890 and 895?

ISM RF band in the US is 908.42MHz and in EU is 868.42. There are also some duty cycle restrictions in the EU that do not exist in the US. I'd bet that if you find a really cheap H895 it won't ever work wiith the standard US z-wave products although it still should be a pretty good universal remote.

George

George,

Great info--thanks!

BTW, there is a "Pro" version of the 890, although I do not know what it is called. It adds support for more extenders (and possibly for more devices as well). It is also a darker color than the retail 890, and is catered toward the professional installer market.

Monster also has two product levels for their Monster Central remote, accordingly. And as I understand it, they already have support for Z-Wave lights built into their firmware.

Chris

Chris is absolutely right. I called Logitech approximately one month ago on the 890 issue. I spoke with one of the engineers behind the 890. Currently the 890 is the only one available. The 890 Pro should be available soon (that's a quote - from last month). Both the standard and Pro editions use z-wave to communicate but the 890 pro is able to transmit to different IR repeaters while the standard can only transmit to a single IR repeater/transmitter. When the z-wave protocol is ironed out (in the remotes), they will also be able to communicate through other z-wave nodes to the IR transmitter. When this happens they will of course be able to extend their distance limit from 100 feet to the limits of the z-wave network. Being that they will be communicating through the z-wave network they will also be able to control the devices within the network. I will most certainly be upgrading to the my 628 to the 890 Pro when the firmware is upgraded.

Back