Z-Wave and xPL

mlansell

Hi Guys,

I know a few of you use xPL for your home automation needs. I just wanted to give you a heads-up and let you know that xPL now supports Z-Wave devices.

Based on the Z-Wave SDK from ControlThink, the xPLZWave service for Windows 2000, XP, MCE and Vista provides full control and status reporting of activity in a Z-Wave network. Operating in conjunction with other xPL applications, it is now possible to fully integrate Z-Wave devices into a home automation system.

xPLZWave also includes a configuration application providing full management of a Z-Wave network, with support for inclusion and exclusion of devices and the editing of groups and device parameters.

Full details are available from http://www.xplmonkey.com/zwave.html

Regards

Mal

That is very cool. I know what xPL is quite popular, so this should instantly bring Z-Wave functionality to a lot of people...

I'm going to Mal's website right now myself...

Chris

Hi all!

For the technology challenged people like me... (That already use Z-Wave).

I understand, and regularly use the HTML language.

XPL? Would some kind person please do a short explaination of that.

I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Ken

I'm assuming here that this is for the SDK version, not the regular version of ThinkEssentials? I couldn't program my way out of a wet paper bag:).

How does xPL compare to xAP?

Does xPL have plug-in for Homeseer 1.7? I know xAP did (does?).

- I'd like to have connectivity and control from Vista MCE using Homeseer 1.7 as the back-end.

xAP also had one for XLobby. Any plans for this with xPL?

Awesome, I have been waiting for this for a long long time. Hopefully this is the answer to getting better z-wave support in CQC. I will give it a try as soon as I find the time to read up on xPL. Do you have any plans on writing a driver for CQC that would work with this software? Is xPL the protocol that dean is implementing or is that something else?

Hi Guys

> How does xPL compare to xAP?

xPL is a lighter version of xAP

>Does xPL have plug-in for Homeseer 1.7? I know xAP did (does?).

Nope...........(well NAFAIK)

xAP also had one for XLobby. Any pla>ns for this with xPL?

Not that im aware of

HTH
Frank

Hi Squintz

> Do you have any plans on writing a driver for CQC that would work with this >software? Is xPL the protocol that dean is implementing or is that something else?

No its xAP that Dean has been implementing......I did request a couple of occassions for xPL support within CQC ........

Frank

mdiehl said:
I'm assuming here that this is for the SDK version, not the regular version of ThinkEssentials? I couldn't program my way out of a wet paper bag:).
I don't know if you need to buy the SDK as well if you have ThinkEssentials. As far as I understand it, ThinkEssentials uses the SDK itself, and you only need one copy per PC. Perhaps Chris can confirm this.

Aaron said:
- I'd like to have connectivity and control from Vista MCE using Homeseer 1.7 as the back-end.
My next task is to update my xPL plugin for MCE so that it plays nice with Vista.

As for Homeseer, xPLHal (the brains of an xPL system) does have the ability to bridge to a xAP network, so there may be a way to handle things that way.

In the longer term, it looks like I could do with investigating support for Homeseer and CQC, since they are such popular programs.

Mal

The PC SDK comes with a free copy of ThinkEssentials, so picking up a copy of the SDK will get you xPL support through Mal's cool new product and will get you a nice visual setup/monitoring tool...

ThinkEssentials doesn't come with the SDK or with a USB stick. It's just $49 by itself :D

Chris

mlansell said:
Aaron said:
My next task is to update my xPL plugin for MCE so that it plays nice with Vista.

As for Homeseer, xPLHal (the brains of an xPL system) does have the ability to bridge to a xAP network, so there may be a way to handle things that way.

In the longer term, it looks like I could do with investigating support for Homeseer and CQC, since they are such popular programs.

Mal
Hi Mal

My vote goes to CQC ....;-)....Just have alook at the nice graphics those CQC users are churning out......;-)

Frank

I have read up on xAP and plan to read up on xPL as soon as I find the time. mlansell , I'm going to try and send you an e-mail or PM so be on the lookout.

I've had a quick read about Homeseer and CQC, and it seems they both already support Z-Wave. I'm not sure what benefit adding a path to xPL would have.

I see xAP has a plugin for Homeseer which allows it to send xAP messages - is that the kind of thing people would be after? Or do you have something more substantial in mind?

Thanks

Mal

Back