Z-wave issue - two modules "in love"

richardfj

I've just started to install my new z-wave switches, and ran into a peculiar problem right off the bat.

The modules in question:
- One Itermatic outdoor module
- One HomePro ZDW120W (dimmer switch)
(the only other module in the house is another ZDW120W which hasn't been added to the network yet)
- I'm also using the Intermatic master remote

I installed the dimmer switch in my master bedroom and it worked like charm, added it to the network using the remote and everything worked perfect. I then added the outdoor module, added it to the network and everything seemed fine (I think I might've had to specifically add the outdoor module to the "all of/on", but at this point I'm not sure what I ended up doing.

I then decided to try to set up a couple of channels ... so I added my master bedroom to Channel 1 with the intention of adding the outdoor module to another channel later (I'm just trying to learn how this stuff is working at this point). However, everytime I turn on channel 1, the outdoor module comes on as well.

So i've reset the network on the remote and tried again ... same result. I've tried to add the outdoor module to a channel first, but same result ... now the master bedroom responds to the channel without having been added.

I'm assuming that the two devices have somehow "married up" outside of the network defined in the remote, but i can't figure out how to reset and start from scratch.

Any thoughts?

richardfj said:
So i've reset the network on the remote and tried again ... same result.
After resetting the network on your remote, reset the ZDW120 using the 'delete' function on the remote, and reset the HA04 Outdoor Module using the 'delete' function on the remote.
Now you are basically starting from scratch.
Include the ZDW120, then Include the HA04.
Associate the ZDW120 to channel 1, then associate the HA04 to channel a different channel.
Now try turning on and off channel 1 to see if it turns on and off the ZDW120 only.

If you want to set up the HA04 to be able to turn on and off when you press the ALL ON or ALL OFF buttons, you would press and hold both ALL ON and ALL OFF buttons until the display reads "ALLSET"; release those buttons, then press and hold the INCLUDE button, and press and release the ON/OFF/PROGRAM button on the HA04. The display should indicate "SUCCESSFUL". Test the ALL ON or ALL OFF buttons to check that the HA04 now responds to the ALL ON and ALL OFF buttons.

Be careful reading the directions in the Intermatic manual. When I started I found myself adding all of my modules to channel 1. It is a 2 step process, add module to network, add module to channel.

And using the Intermatic remote, there is no way to 'associate' two modules together, even though the 120 does support this feature. To do that you either need HS (or maybe some other software product) or the ACT controller with a new enough firmware version that also supports associations.

That worked ... when I reset the network on the remote, I didn't realize I also had to delete the devices individually (for best results ... as the manuals says) ...

Thanks

A Z-Wave module will only respond to a control message if the homeid and nodeid in the message matches those in the module. These values are given to the modules by the primary controller when you add the module to the network. The homeid is stored in the controller when it is manufactured and this value is assigned to all modules included in its' network. All modules in a Z-Wave network have the same homeid

Two modules with the same homeid and nodeid is normally not possible, but it happens here in our lab once in a while. To create this, start with everything reset. Then add a module to the controller. It will be assigned the first nodeid (for instance nodeid 2). Then reset the controller. It will forget about the first module. Now add the second module. It will be assigned the first nodeid value (2 again). You now have two modules with the same nodeid and both may respond together depending on their location.

This is why it is best practice to reset all modules before installing them.

Back