Z Wave Motion Detectors

An easy way to automate night lights is to use a dimmable smart switch that can be operated both manually and by automation.  Put dimmable bulbs in the light fixture and then the automation can set it to whatever level of brightness you desire.  I now do this with a bath fan light and it works great as a nightlight.

On the subject of motion automation controlled lights using motion detector triggering, I current am using Insteon in my present house and I am finding the delay to be about 1-1.5 seconds to go through the ISY to the ELK and for the ELK to send the signal back through the ISY to turn the light on which works for me because having it auto on and auto off makes using the areas easier because you do not have to worry about turning off the lights when you leave the area.  Hopefully Z-Wave will produce similar performance.  One other consideration is to configure the motion detector for greater sensitivity because many are defaulted to the settings used for security which are less sensitive and often will look for 2-3 motion senses to avoid false triggers before they send a motion ON signal. Doing this will make the motion detector trigger sooner for lighting support.  The few false triggers you might get are worth the improved response time when using motion detectors for lighting automation.  This is why I use separate motion detectors for security vs. lighting automation.

As per my knowledge the ELK does NOT support any Z-Wave sensors (only simple switches, dimmers, and thermostats {unreliably} - locks are not supported but can be controlled via serial messages). 
If you want the Z-Wave motion sensors for input to the ELK you will need some other Z-Wave controller to read the sensors and then get that info. to the ELK by some other means.

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum NoeWortis.

The Elk and OmniPro panels were first security then automation panels and here on the forum have been mentioned as the ultimate in a DIY combination in firmware panel.  Relating to my OmniPro stuff here relating to security; it is all wired.

The easy peasy residential DIY security (whether UL approved or not) has always been to use wireless sensors because mostly it involves not having to install an LV wired infrastructure.  

That is the way it is lately and especially because you can today purchase wireless trinkets at any big box store these days and having something is better than not having something in place.   I have never been able to purchase standard alarm GE UL wireless GE Interlogix wireless trinkets at any local big store stores (well or a DSC alarm or Elk or Leviton OmniPro panel).  That is there is probably some clause that states you are responsible for your own life and safety.  Well too if not properly installed don't sue us if you happen to die (because we will you sue you back in a life after death endeavour).

Thinking now too that Z-Wave got UL approval folks will be asking why they cannot connect and use these devices with the Elk or OmniPro combination panels (unless you layer another device controller to the panel).

Unrelated...related rant....
There has been a proliferation of fireworks companies and sales in the state next door to mine for years now.  You can purchase anything you want as long as you sign a piece of paper promising you will not utilize the fireworks.  It's a win win for the state relating to a tax revenue base (no matter what).  Well even if the companies get sued a little legal suit will not even ding their yearly sales; such that it is accepted.  It has been happening everywhere.

@ Pete (unrelated) you used to be able to pick up the GE wireless devices at the big box stores. Think the orange and blue home improvement stores sold them back in the day, not sure about the electronics vendors. They really started disappearing after the GE/UTC business deal. Some were the same, others were compatible but used alkaline batteries.

The largest reason why you're not seeing compatible or trade style devices in the retail stores as it's not in the manufacturer's best interest. They have their own distribution model and it would erode the sales of their distributorships and the trade market......and then it would become an issue for dealers to determine what devices they installed under contract vs. the end user.....which would probably lead to legislation in the industry to move the alarm and security market to be just like the UK. Lock people out of panels, tamper everything, password protect and other physical security measures, including requiring T&I clauses on systems and require certain grading to even be monitored. It's kinda good for the industry, but bad for end users and some of the "engineers" take themselves too seriously.

Also, as far as Zwave and UL, it only covers security, not fire alarm, which is going to be a stumbling point. The rest, like battery life and range could most likely be addressed in time.

Back