Z-wave scene keypad with local load control?

acheslow

I'm planning a new system for a new house that we're building and have pretty much decided on Z-wave and an Elk M1. There are several rooms that currently have 3-gang switches to control multiple loads. I would like to have a keypad in each of these rooms to set multiple whole-room scenes instead of having to adjust each dimmer and lamp individually.

In my X-10 days I used the Keypadlinc keypad/dimmer to control room scenes. Since it could also control a local load I just used it to replace one of the existing switches in each room.

Is there anything similar for Z-wave? I like the looks of the Intermatic CA5000 but it doesn't appear to control a local load. How is this supposed to be used then? Would I knock a new hole in the wall to put this in next to the existing switches?

How are other people handling room scene control with Z-wave?

I see that SH has an Insteon keypad/dimmer which does what I want but many folks here seem to be having problems with Insteon in general.

BTW, my favorite form-factor is the PCS SMST6. If someone could make that design into a Z-wave keypad with local control for around $100 I would be all over it!

Thanks,

acheslow said:
I see that SH has an Insteon keypad/dimmer which does what I want but many folks here seem to be having problems with Insteon in general.
Don't rule out Insteon yet, especially if you don't have to decide today. I won't give an absolutely glowing report yet, but my M1 and Insteon, with multiple KeypadLincs, configured by PowerHome is working well.

BTW, my favorite form-factor is the PCS SMST6. If someone could make that design into a Z-wave keypad with local control for around $100 I would be all over it!
I agree with you. I think these are the nicest too. Having a built in IR receiver is also a nice added bonus. These are made by Lightolier and are available in X10 and UPB models right now.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I don't think the UPB version of the SMST6 has local control either does it? It's also pretty much out of my price range.

Sigh... I guess I'll reconsider Insteon again :D

OK, so I'm not too impressed with what I'm seeing about Insteon these days so I'm back to looking at Z-wave and possibly also UPB. I really like that PCS WM6 keypad and since UPB seems to work so well I'd be willing to pay a premium for it.

In either case, I'm back to my original question which is how are these keypads typically installed if they don't control a local load? In a retrofit situation (my walls are already up and painted) are people poking holes to add another j-box next to the existing dimmers?

[edit: just found this UPB keypad which looks like it does everything I need -- http://www.automatedoutlet.com/product.php...&cat=142&page=1 -- still, I'd be interested in how people are using keypads that don't provide local load control.]

Thanks,

acheslow said:
-- still, I'd be interested in how people are using keypads that don't provide local load control.][/i]

Thanks,
I use HomeSeer that is triggered on a Z-Wave command received and controlling my "scenes" via HomeSeer events. Are you planning on using a hardware/software controller?

I'm planning on using an Elk M1, but what I'm really wondering is how people are retrofitting keypads that don't provide local load control.

For instance, say you've got a 3-gang wall switch with 3 individual dimmers for 3 individual loads. If I want to add a keypad to set different scenes in that room I can't just replace one of the dimmers because then I can't control that load any more.

I guess you have to either wire in an in-line receiver or poke a hole in the wall to add a fourth j-box next to the other three?

Thanks, yeah, that is what I'm starting to lean towards, although with probably different face plates. It's neat that you can easily swap different face plates.

How are these working out for you so far? Do you have a central controller?

Thx,

acheslow said:
How are these working out for you so far? Do you have a central controller?
I'm quite satisfied with the SA switches. I very much like the flexibility you get with the faceplates themselves, the ability to control the LED color through UpStart, and the label kit. You can color the labels any way you want and the finished look is professional and custom. For example, I've chosen colors that closely match the paint color of the walls where the switches are located.

Yes, I have a central controller. I'm a HomeSeer + MainLobby user. About 1/2 of the SA keypad buttons operate lighting scenes and operate independently of the central controller (UPB to UPB) but keep HomeSeer informed of what they've done. The other 1/2 control functions beyond lighting or lighting + and HomeSeer brokers those transactions.

acheslow said:
" what I'm really wondering is how people are retrofitting keypads that don't provide local load control."
Poking in another gang is one solution but many times at least one of the switches in a ganged installation will be 3-way with another location. If this is the case you can remove that switch, change the wiring around a little a put the "controlled" dimmer at the 3-way location, thus opening up 1 gang for the keypad.

Thanks, I was thinking that too but I have several locations where that wouldn't work (or only partially work). For instance, if one location has 3 switches for 3 loads A, B, C and another location has 3 switches for loads A, D, E, with load A being on a 3-way with both switches, I could only put a keypad in one of those locations.

I guess there are options, I just don't particularly like any of them :)

Anyway, I'm still thinking of going with the UPB keypads that have local load control so that seems to solve my problem.

Thanks,

Back