Anyone used these wireless sensors with an Elk-M1G?

jmark71

I've seen the 5800Micra used with Ademco systems, but it looks like the original manufacturer makes versions compatible with GE and DSC systems too. Specifically, it looks like these would be great for my vinyl windows if I go the wireless route (the thin surface mount magnet makes this thing look great to me).

http://www.ion-digital.com/

Any opinions?

opinions? Yes those sensors do look nice, I wish I found them before drilling my windows originally for my sensors

I have used the Honeywell version of the Micra contact for vinyl windows in a couple of Honeywell Vista systems I've installed and they worked well. I would assume similar performance with the GE version for the Elk. I am also quite interested in the plunger version for doors. I emailed them for a login for their site this morning since I install DSC, GE and Elk systems also but as of yet I haven't received a reply.

Russ

I have used the Honeywell version of the Micra contact for vinyl windows in a couple of Honeywell Vista systems I've installed and they worked well. I would assume similar performance with the GE version for the Elk. I am also quite interested in the plunger version for doors. I emailed them for a login for their site this morning since I install DSC, GE and Elk systems also but as of yet I haven't received a reply.

Russ
I sent them an e-mail yesterday too - haven't heard back either. I'm guessing that some folks may take Columbus Day off? I found a website (Alarm Professor) maintained by a guy who has the same name as one of the people listed on the ion-digital site and he's selling them for $26 a piece. However, the website seems rather amateur compared with the ion-digitial site, so I'm going to wait on my query with them before doing anything.

from the alarm professor website, "ION Digital LLP. ION Digital designs and manufactures wireless alarm devices for Honeywell as well as wireless products that are compatible with GE, ITI, DSC, Caddx, HAI and ELK control products."

Great find, these look very interesting. I'll try to place an order for some this week and report back.

Started digging a little deeper and found this:

http://www.alarmprofessor.net/31.html

Apparently the owner of Alarm Professor helped design the Micra. I find it strange that this is the only place selling them. Additionally, he indicates that ADI was a distributor for this product and it was originally introduced in 2002. If it's been out that long why didn't it take off? I think the site owner sheds some light on why at the link above.

I actually tried ordering through the Alarm Professor site, but everytime I picked the regular MicraG, it showed up as the PlungerG in the shopping cart. That and the rather ugly look of the website made me think twice. I did get a response from ion-digital folks this morning though. They confirmed that the MicraG is compatible with the Elk wireless expander and also let me know that the units are now also being distributed by Tri-Ed Distribution (http://www.tri-ed.com/)

I actually tried ordering through the Alarm Professor site, but everytime I picked the regular MicraG, it showed up as the PlungerG in the shopping cart. That and the rather ugly look of the website made me think twice. I did get a response from ion-digital folks this morning though. They confirmed that the MicraG is compatible with the Elk wireless expander and also let me know that the units are now also being distributed by Tri-Ed Distribution (http://www.tri-ed.com/)

I also tried and got the same results. Looks like he cut/pasted the same code for all of the Paypal buttons except the bottom one. I emailed him and pointed this out and this is the reply:

Steve,

I will look into the problem. I am currently on vacation and will be returning on 10/18. If anyone wants to order any product – Micra-D or Micra-G, Plunger-D or Plunger-G they should contact me directly at [email protected] and I can facilitate their orders. Thanks for the heads-up.

Russ VanDevanter

(206) 393-0677 Office
(206) 669-8121 Cell
(866) 551-0288 Fax

This email communication and any attachments may contain proprietary, confidential, or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this email in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited. The sender does not waive confidentiality or any privilege by mistransmission. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately, delete this email, and destroy all copies and any attachments.

Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 10:43 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Problem with web site

Russ,

You web site: http://www.alarmprofessor.com/ has a problem if you try and order anything with the PayPal link. It always put up a order for the Plunger-G no matter which item you choose.

I have seen some interest on www.cocoontech.com about the Micra-G. Member gave up on the web site after trying to order and evaluate on of these products.

Can you fix this and allow someone to order some of these. There is a large DIY market from users on cocoontech.com and you are missing on some potential sales including myself.

Thank you,

Steve

Steve,

I had a back and forth with Ion Digital today and they said that Russ was definitely legit, so I contacted him and he said exactly what you've pointed out. He asked me how many sensors I wanted and he would invoice me via Paypal and ship when he got back from vacation on Monday. Sounds like a plan to me! I'll let folks know how things work out... got to find a place to mount that Elk Wireless expansion unit now ;)

Thanks for following up with him too; it sounds like there's some interest on here for this particular sensor.

Mark

Steve,

I had a back and forth with Ion Digital today and they said that Russ was definitely legit, so I contacted him and he said exactly what you've pointed out. He asked me how many sensors I wanted and he would invoice me via Paypal and ship when he got back from vacation on Monday. Sounds like a plan to me! I'll let folks know how things work out... got to find a place to mount that Elk Wireless expansion unit now ;)

Thanks for following up with him too; it sounds like there's some interest on here for this particular sensor.

Mark

Mark,

Looking forward to the results of your test with these. I have my Elk unit on the way and will start install Nov 5. I have 16 exterior windows and three doors in a finished house with no wiring at all. I do not really want to fight exterior walls trying to hard wire all the windows. The Micra-G look perfect.

Steve

You mentioned this micra is compatible with ELK panel/wireless receiver but I don't believe Elk has an updated firmware for the main security panel and the wireless receiver so it would work with Micra. I believe Elk is working on this firmware or at least that is what they indicated in some of the email traffic.

You mentioned this micra is compatible with ELK panel/wireless receiver but I don't believe Elk has an updated firmware for the main security panel and the wireless receiver so it would work with Micra. I believe Elk is working on this firmware or at least that is what they indicated in some of the email traffic.

If you get confirmation either way, please post it. I'm definitely interested in some of these sensors.

Tuantu - why do you think Elk needs updated firmware to support these? The sensors apparently use the same frequency that the GE sensors use and the folks at Ion-digital said, and I quote from the direct question I asked them:

Our Micra-G and Plunger-G are compatible with all current GE receivers or where 319.5 MHz sensors are used. They should work just fine with the M1XFR2G zone expander.

Is there something I'm missing? I'm about to place an order and don't want to end up with useless stuff if there's something key I'm missing about the Elk.

Back