MicraG and PlungerG results with ELK M1 Gold and M1XRF2G

signal15

I obtained a PlungerG and MicraG wireless sensors from Russ Devanter at http://www.alarmprofessor.net/ with the intent of testing them using the ELK wireless receiver M1XRF2G. Russ's price on the sensors is $26 each. If you consider the amount of time and effort it takes to run wire for doors and windows, this is well worth the money. The MicraG and PlungerG are supposed to be GE compatible. But the documentation doesn't say if they are CADDX or not. I still cannot find anything that would indicate whether or not they are CADDX. Non-CADDX GE compatible sensors will work with the M1, but they are supposedly not as reliable because their frequency isn't as tightly controlled. I didn't experience any reliability problems with these, so I'm assuming they are CADDX devices.

ION Security (http://www.ion-digital.com) is the actual manufacturer of the devices, and I didn't follow up with them to see if they were CADDX or not.

In any case, both devices are small. You drill a 3/4" hole, and just pop the sensor in.

Micra
The Micra is 11/32" deep, and has a 1/16" flange that protrudes above the mounting surface. It comes with a magnet that needs to be mounted to the door or window. The magnet it comes with is oval shaped and DIAMETRICALLY magnetized. If you choose NOT to use their magnet, you must use one that is diametrically magnetized, and the poles must match up with the flat edges of the sensor. I did some testing with axial magnetized neodymium magnets, and they were not reliable. I didn't take the unit apart to see how the switch worked, but it really does need a diametrically magnetized magnet. If you don't know what this means, check out this page:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/magdir.asp

The only reason I wouldn't use their magnet is because it's oval. And if I needed to recess the magnet into a door, there's no easy way to use a forstner bit to drill an oval hole. You could certainly drill a round one, but if you were concerned about aesthetics, then it might look funny to you. If you're mounting the sensors at the top of the doors, then this probably makes no difference as no one is going to be looking down from above at your magnet install.

The Micra appears to be designed for windows that have a hollow area on the sides. The antenna wire is supposed to hang down inside this hollow area, and actually comes out to the side from the bottom edge. You could probably jam it into a non-hollow area (you'd still have to drill a hole for the antenna). But, I would take the blue base off the bottom and make a tiny hole in the bottom of it so the antenna doesn't get damaged when you push the sensor into the hole.

Plunger
The plunger also requires a 3/4" hole, but it's much deeper at 1" (actually 63/64ths). It also has a 1/16" flange on it. You might have to recess these if you are putting them on tight fitting doors or windows. The antenna on this one comes straight out of the back of it, so you don't have to worry about crushing the antenna wire.

The plunger activates with 9/64 of travel. The total possible travel of the plunger is 1/4". This means your maximum gap is going to be 7/64" plus 1/16" for the height of the flange, which works out to 11/64".

Provisioning/Enrollment
There are two ways to enroll the sensor into the ELK M1. You can use the menu on your keypad to go into the wireless enrollment screen (Menu 9->14->3) and then you put the battery into the sensor and actuate it. I found that to be kind of a pain in the butt. The other option is manual enrollment. I did the manual enrollment through the ElkRP software. You basically click on the zone input you want the sensor to be for, and click the "Wireless Setup" button that appears next to the description in your wireless zone inputs. I've posted a screenshot below. Basically, in the TxID field in the bottom, you manually enter the ID of the sensor and then check the "Enabled" box. Make sure you enter the ID before you enable it. On the antenna of each MicraG and PlungerG is a tag with the ID of the sensor. If the sensor ID was A43B93, then you would put a "0" in front of it (e.g. 0A43B93). The second field there will automatically fill in. That's pretty much it, now you just treat it as any other wireless sensor or inputs you have set up.

Response Time
Maybe Response Time isn't the right word for this. But I wanted to test how quickly I could go from secure->not secure->secure again without the unit alerting the ELK. A rough guess is about as accurate as I can get, but if it's more than 200ms, then the ELK will be alerted. Less than 200ms, and the ELK most likely will not get notified. Interestingly enough, that going from Not Secure->Secure->Not Secure actually had a much higher tolerance, 1/2 second in some cases. In any case, this probably doesn't matter too much, but there is a potential, however small, that an intruder could figure out where the sensor was and either slip his own magnet in quickly or get the plunger pushed back down. 200ms isn't a lot of time, and these sensors would be hidden from the outside unless they were on a door that opened outwards.

Range
To test the range, I set up an automation rule to speak the zone name when the sensors went secure or insecure, then I dialed into the system on my cellphone to hear the voice alerts.

My receiver is mounted in my garage, which has concrete most of the way around it, a commercial freezer from 1972 that almost certainly generates interference, and it's mounted about 10 feet from one side of my house so it's not even close to the center of everything. The house is 48 feet deep, and 75 feet wide. The sensors worked reliably *everywhere* in the house. In addition, they worked outside the house 250-350 feet in every direction depending on where I was in relation to the garage. However, when I went below a hill about 100 feet from the house so I no longer had direct line of sight, they no longer worked. Of course, I doubt I'll be mounting one to a tree in the woods anytime soon, so this isn't really an issue.

One of the thing I read about these is that people only have problems if the antenna gets bunched up and isn't fully extended. I went the far end of the house, balled the antenna up in the palm of my hand, and actuated the sensor. No workie. The antenna absolutely must be extended for these to be reliable. They come with a plastic drinking straw looking thing to keep it straight as you insert it into the wall, door frame, window frame, or whatever. Use it. The antenna is 11" long. The way I would install is to use a forstner bit to drill a hole for the sensor, and then take my 1/4" bit which is 16" long and drill to a depth of a foot or so if I couldn't hang the wire down the back of the door/window frame or in a hollow channel. Then I would insert the antenna into the straw and push the whole mess in at once.

Overall Impressions
These things are awesome. And, at $26, you can't go wrong. If it takes me an hour to run a single wire to a door or window to install a sensor, then these things are cheaper in the end. My time is worth more than $26/hr to me since I'm so busy all of the time. Other people might have different views on this, but to me, it's worth it.

The only two things I don't like about them:
- The antenna on the Micra comes out the side, not the back. This is easily fixed.
- The 1/16" flange on them might be too high for some door installations and require a bit of woodwork to recess them. If *I* were to redesign these, I would ditch the flange in favor of a slightly flared rim to make it really hard to insert it too far. Then I would put a small hole on the front of it that someone could put a screw in to pull it out in the case of a battery replacement.

Other than that, I think these things are great. I'm going to put one inside one of my gun safes, which are fairly thick steel. I don't have high hopes because of all of the metal, but I'll post the results once I test it out. If it doesn't work, I'll just unbolt it from the floor, put a plungerG on the wall behind the gun safe, and then push the safe back up to the wall and bolt it back down. Then if someone does manage to pry it from the floor, it's going to set off the alarm. Of course, I have no idea how they would avoid all of the other sensors.

I am definitely going to get more of these. I have a total of 55 windows to do, and there is NO way I'm going to wire each one, especially since that portion of the house is finished.

Attachments

• IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 142
Signal,

I'd like to turn this into a review for the front page of the website if you dont mind. I will wait to see the results of your gun safe experiment so I can add this also.

any additional photos including one in the gun safe I can send you my email to add to the review.

Thanks for the great writeup, signal. I'd like to see how it works in the metal enclosure (safe) since I have a need for my standby generator (metal doors) and my pool cage doors (metal screen doors).

Thanks again!

Kevin

I'll get some more photos up soon. Also, Russ read the review and offered some additional data about the sensors. I will edit the post above to include that information.

I am incredibly new at home security (and home ownership for that matter!) so forgive my ignorance.

However, I am having a difficult time imaging a 9-12" horizontal hole being drilled in a door casing. (Wouldn't you being drilling about 6 inches into the wall itself?).

Thanks!

I am incredibly new at home security (and home ownership for that matter!) so forgive my ignorance.

However, I am having a difficult time imaging a 9-12" horizontal hole being drilled in a door casing. (Wouldn't you being drilling about 6 inches into the wall itself?).

Thanks!

These are really designed for vinyl windows and door where there is a hollow space in the frame. You drill a round hole in the outer layer of the frame, and then drop the antenna down into the hollow space. So you are not drilling a long horizontal hole for the antenna to lay in.

If you don't have vinyl windows/doors, there are other types of wireless contacts that would work better. They are generally surface mounted. Again so you are not drilling a large hole for an antenna.

I have one of the MicraG units tied to my Omni Pro II via the HAI's version of the GE wireless receiver. Easy set up. I have not installed mine yet but I intend to use them in a door jam such that the plunger is depressed when my dead bolt is closed. It is too easy to assume an exterior door is secure just because it is closed. With this sensor installed and activated by the dead bolt, I will know that the door is truely secure.

I have one of the MicraG units tied to my Omni Pro II via the HAI's version of the GE wireless receiver. Easy set up. I have not installed mine yet but I intend to use them in a door jam such that the plunger is depressed when my dead bolt is closed. It is too easy to assume an exterior door is secure just because it is closed. With this sensor installed and activated by the dead bolt, I will know that the door is truely secure.

I'd love to do that as well, let me know how sucessful your project is :) I'm assuming you are using the blunder instead of the magnet?

Thanks!
Andrew

Thanks!

In doors that don't have a space behind the casing that I can feed the antenna wire down, I take a 12" long 1/4" drill bit, and just drill horizontal into the wall. It goes through a stud, or two studs if they are doubled up, and into the wall cavity. I have to install another one here pretty soon, and I think I have my camera issues resolved. I'll take pics or video when I do it. Probably video.

Thanks!

In doors that don't have a space behind the casing that I can feed the antenna wire down, I take a 12" long 1/4" drill bit, and just drill horizontal into the wall. It goes through a stud, or two studs if they are doubled up, and into the wall cavity. I have to install another one here pretty soon, and I think I have my camera issues resolved. I'll take pics or video when I do it. Probably video.

Thanks for the help! I'm interested to see how this works out for you.

I have recessed doors, so the standard contact switches won't work. Can't decide between the plunger or magnetic one, however.

They both have pros and cons. I magnet sensor can be defeated pretty easily, but are generally reliable for a very long time. Plunger sensors are more prone to wear out and need to be replaced due to the fact they have more moving parts. Of course these particular sensors have just come out, so there is no long term reliability reports.

Since these are wireless and eventually will require a battery replacement, I'd probably go with the plunger model due to it's higher security value. You are going to have to fiddle with these every once in a while, so the long term reliability of the magnetic style sensor is kind of a moot point.

I'd love to do that as well, let me know how sucessful your project is :) I'm assuming you are using the blunder instead of the magnet?

Correct. I already have a long 1/4" bit for the antenna but I still need to get a 3/4" bit to drill the hole for the plunger unit. As noted earlier, I will not be able to let the antenna "hang down" due to thickness of door jam and wall structure. My antenna orientation will be in a horizontal position but I am assuming that will not cause any problems for me. My main concern is that I have a 3 gang wall switch near the area or my antenna and I am hoping that will not cause any problem with the transmission signal.

Back