Day sleeper: Temporarily bypass chime/voice announcement

whodah

Hi all,

I've searched, but to no avail. I've found a lot of threads on using relays to control audio speakers for music, and I think I could get there based on that. But thought I'd ask in case I'm overlooking an easy solution as I'm still pretty new to the Elk world. Due do a day sleeper in the house, but on varying days, I'd like to be able to have a mechanism that I can flip a mechanical switch (or something) discreetly hidden in the garage and interior that will disable door chimes and "non-alarm voice" announcements when switched 'on'. When switched 'off', chimes and "non-alarm voice"'s become re-enabled. 

Thus, I can go in and out of the house "126 times while [they] are trying to sleep" without keeping them awake. :D :D

Any ideas on the simplest way to achieve this? I'm open to mechanical switches, buttons, rules, whatever. Just whatever makes sense to accomplish the task, ya know?

I did find the following hints:
  • Work2Play's post here in an old thread: {edit: oops, can't post links yet... topic number 19894 on this forum} "And with a relay on the speaker in the master bedroom, the wife can quiet everything while she's sleeping during the day so nobody bothers her." which sounds like it has a lot of potential too.
  • {edit: oops, can't post links yet...} on the elkproducts website, the disable_voice page.

Thanks!

We do get a lot of use out of the F4 "Quiet Mode" button - that keeps things much quieter for the wife.  Now things are even worse - not only is she a day sleeper, but I work from home - and some days the kids are home too (needing the extra alerts).  The next step for me will be adding in a TWA with the separate channels that can be programmatically muted.  In addition, at some point I'd like to tie in whole house audio as well - hopefully DND on a particular zone may help.  Also, just playing with HomeSeer a bit - it has TTS and can have output directed to specific "speaker" clients - which can be little touchscreen devices or otherwise scattered around the house.

We use the F4 technique too.

We call it "Quiet House."

I sorta brute-forced it when starting out: set a variable and then had speaking rules check the state of the variable.

I think there is a more elegant way involving a "non-alert audio" setting, but I'm on the road this week and won't be checking the Elk programming. ( in beautiful seattle, sunny and warm. weird! )

Definitely interested to hear about how others are handing this as well.

I think I'll implement something like the "Quiet Mode" with a F-key soon, but also like the idea of using a TWA to do some more advanced work with it.

So I think I'm close... I followed and setup the three rules here:

http://www.elkproducts.com/disable_voice.html

WHENEVER F4 KEY ON ANY KEYPAD ACTIVATES

THEN TOGGLE OUTPUT 100

WHENEVER OUTPUT 100 IS ON

THEN DISABLE NON-ALARM VOICE MESSAGES

WHENEVER OUTPUT 100 IS OFF

THEN ENABLE NON-ALARM VOICE MESSAGES

But I'm having a bit of trouble on how to setup the F4 key on the keypads as the instructions are kind of vague. I currently have:

Capture.JPG

Key: F4
Activates Event: 31 = Mute Audibles
Ilumination Event: 7100 = OUTPUT 100 STATE
Invert Light: checked
Name: F4 = Quiet Mode

But on the keypad, it still says: F4 = Not Defined

And when I hit that key, it gives a very depressing low-pitch failure-like buzz. Ha ha! Any hints?
:D

If you're using the touchscreen M1KPNAV you need to synchronise it.  On the keypad itself go Menu -> Next Page -> Synchronise.

Also this has to be configured on every keypad - it's not inherited.

I know my rules are a hair different but my NAS is offline (failed drive - keeping it off until I replace the drive) so I can't fire up RP.  Also for me, it's not inverted - I have the light on if quiet mode is on, and I have the "Quiet Mode" turn off after 4 hours automatically.

I activate this pretty often from my phone as well.  That said, it could even be triggered by a UPB keypad in the garage if I really wanted - the M1 would see the event and can trigger a rule from that as well.

lathiat: ah, thanks! I'm closer. Now at least the keypad (indeed, a M1KPNAV) states: F4 = Quiet Mode

I still get the very depressing low-pitch failure-like buzz when I push it though. 

Work2Play: gotcha. It'd be awesome to get your rules and Keypad configuration for this task when you get RP back online. Turning back on after 4 hours is an awesome thought.

I kind of took a stab in the dark on the Keypad settings. Does anything there look wrong to you? That link above doesn't give guidance, so I just guessed. I can't help but think that is the part that is slowing me down:

Key: F4
Activates Event: 31 = Mute Audibles
Ilumination Event: 7100 = OUTPUT 100 STATE
Invert Light: checked
Name: F4 = Quiet Mode

Back