1367=SYSTEM START UP Control - after adding expander board

blueman2

I recently have been getting a double beep from my keypad at random times.  I have chime turned off, so was concerned.  I finally decided to look into my logs and found "1367=SYSTEM START UP | Control" in the log, roughly corresponding to when I hear the beeps.  I assume this indicates a system reset? 

This started after I added an expander in another area, about 100' from the main system.  Is there any way I can diagnose what might be causing the system to spontaneously reboot if that is what is going on?  The battery is pretty new, and we have not had any power issues impacting other devices.  

I've had the system reset when I was adding powered sensors and shorted +12 to COM.  

Check your connections in the panel.  Or you might have an intermittent in a glass break or motion or somewhere else.

You could also run some logging software that might pick up a zone violation before the system resets.  

sda said:

You could also run some logging software that might pick up a zone violation before the system resets.  
Great idea!  I will do that.  I have a program that captures all zone activity to a log file.  But I bet you are correct about an intermittent short from +12V to GND.  

I've also been getting random beeps corresponding to 1367 - SYSTEM START UP.

I don't think there are any intermittent 12v to ground shorts.  Very strange.

I know there is at least one bad firmware out there, it was up for a day or two before being pulled.

I have multiple units on the last UL listed FW with zero stability issues. The non-UL FW is on my bench system and has no stability issues but I've been holding back at least one rev.

How about metering out the devices in the field and system battery? The startup event is caused any time the field components drop voltage below 12V and they reboot from when I had a 6 hour marathon tech support day between Altronix and Elk (leading up to the white paper being written for the LBC switches and Altronix supplies)

Are there external hardware such as power supplies involved?

Is it possible to go backwards on firmwares?  i.e. can I revert to a prior version to see if that helps?  

I discovered that I have numerous events in my log showing:

Thu 12/4/2014

6:14

1367 = SYSTEM START UP

Input Exp. 5

Thu 12/4/2014

6:01

1367 = SYSTEM START UP

Input Exp. 5

Thu 12/4/2014

5:53

1367 = SYSTEM START UP

Input Exp. 5

Thu 12/4/2014

5:32

1367 = SYSTEM START UP

Input Exp. 5

Thu 12/4/2014

5:06

1367 = SYSTEM START UP

Input Exp. 5

Thu 12/4/2014

4:06

1367 = SYSTEM START UP

Input Exp. 5

Thu 12/4/2014

4:04

1367 = SYSTEM START UP

Input Exp. 5

Thu 12/4/2014

4:01

1367 = SYSTEM START UP

Input Exp. 5

Thu 12/4/2014

4:00

1367 = SYSTEM START UP

Input Exp. 5

Thu 12/4/2014

3:41

1367 = SYSTEM START UP

Input Exp. 5

Thu 12/4/2014

3:35

1367 = SYSTEM START UP

Input Exp. 5

Thu 12/4/2014

3:10

1367 = SYSTEM START UP

Input Exp. 5

Thu 12/4/2014

3:07

1367 = SYSTEM START UP

Input Exp. 5

I recently installed an Input expander, address 5, in a remote building and extended the data bus to that building from the panel. I removed the termination resistor from the panel board and terminated at the remote building expander. The length of that cable run is around 400 feet. The total length of my data bus is less than 500 feet. The other end of the data bus from the panel goes to a wireless transmitter and then to a keypad (termination at the keypad). The zones connected to the expander seem to be operating properly but these events are obviously not normal. Watching the LED on the expander board, it seems to flash once, about once per second. What else can I look for to find the source of these errors?

Your setup is very similar to mine.  My problems only started after I added an expander, located about 100' away from my main panel.  Mine continues to reset sporadically, but usually only once per week.  Still no resolution.  

LakeHouse said:
Checked the voltage, 11.85 volts. Is that within tolerance?
No.

M1 needs at least 12V constant, preferably closer to 12.5. Went through this dance back in the day with a building and a sagging power supply/backup battery.

Also, reconsider your topology with a remote building and split your bus into 2 segments; If one goes down it won't affect the other segment. By running a single segment, you're putting all the eggs in the same basket.

I just ordered a DBHR to split the bus into two segments. Once I have the remote building on its own bus segment, I'll check voltages again.

Thanks

LakeHouse said:
I just ordered a DBHR to split the bus into two segments. Once I have the remote building on its own bus segment, I'll check voltages again.

Thanks
The hub will not do anything for your voltage problem, they only change the physical topology and are only necessary if you have more than 2 branches that only have 2 data wires present (if you have 4 it's a non-issue). The M1, out of the box, can run 2 terminated 485 branches with no external hardware needed. If the house was wired "conventional" with multiple 4/22 for each keypad and peripheral, that's when you'd need the dbhr.

The voltage problem needs to be corrected either via an aux supply or addressing the VD from the panel to the last device; Make sure none of your bus devices have daisy chained power, that is a huge no-no and starts a whole host of issues. You should be seeing over 12VDC at the panel itself, usually better than 12.5 with a good battery.

Usually, I've found it's easier to just install a separate power supply to loadshed the panel and address the VD at the remote building. They're cheap enough for a 1-2A unit with battery to avoid the issue.

Out of curiosity, what kind/size of cable did you run 400' out to the building?

Back