1367=SYSTEM START UP Control - after adding expander board

Dell, yea I already have an aux power supply in the remote building and am going to power the expander from there rather than over the remote cable.

sda, the cable is 24AWG cat 5e.

Yeah, too small awg for that distance.  Ran it though a VD calculator and a 400' run drops the 13.5vdc at the M1 down to 11.4 assuming 0.1A load.  Remote PS is the way to go.  Hopefully the small awg won't cause you grief with the data communication. 

Just a quick update on this, finally got back to it after the holidays. I moved the zone expander to the remote power supply and the System Startup Errors have gone away. Amazing how well it works when the card has the correct voltage. :D

With Win10 and Elk RP2 not working with the old firmware I decided to go through and update my Elk firmware on all components.  I did this on Monday.  This morning, my water was turned off (Elk shut off valve was closed).  This should not have been the case.  I checked the logs, and I see a 1367 system startup occurred at 8:40am, which I am quite sure is what turned the valve off.  It did the same thing at the startup after the new firmware was installed Monday, which seems appropriate.

I switched to the 5 version of the firmware (I had been using the 4 version but they discontinued that, I have no wireless items at all so for me it was a random choice of which firmware to use 6 years ago when I installed it, I randomly picked wrong!)

I updated all bootloaders and firmware for everything while I was at it (xep, keypads, and unit, my other expansion boards were already up to date).

I have another 1367 as the very first item in the log, which is of course after the firmware update and would be expected.  The log file prior to that appears to have been erased by the firmware update.  However, I have never in 6 years had the water be off except as expected from Elk rules.  So I am assuming I have never had a 1367 prior.

Has anyone else updated to the latest firmware on Elk and is so, have you seen this issue?

Firmware v5.3.0 definitely had a bug that caused intermittent reboots.  v5.3.8 is supposed to fix it, but I haven't tried it.  I am running v5.2.10 which does not have the reboot problem.

Lou Apo said:
It just restarted again this morning.  Am I the only one with this problem?

I have continued to have this reboot sporadically for over 2 years now.  I did notice I was running 5.3.0, which as noted was known to have some sort of reboot issue.  I just upgraded to 5.3.8.  Time will tell if this solved it.  

Thanks for the responses.

This is unfortunate.  I must assume that this is the same bug in the firmware since the firmware is the only change to a previously rock solid system. 

I am running 5.3.8 right now.  I suppose I can downgrade to 5.2.10.  Any known issues with doing that?  Keep in mind that all of my peripherals are running the most recent boot loader and firmware.  It would appear that the windows 10 issue only pertains to the xep firmware so I should be fine there, assuming that the older m1g firmware plays nice with the newer xep firmware.

I don't know what is theoretically better about the newer firmware, from my perspective, it is obviously worse.

I did send an email to Elk tech support.  They deny that they will support an end user, but perhaps they'll find it in their heart to respond to what appears to be a real bug.

Lou, keep us informed if you have any more reboots with newest firmware and I will do the same.  If all else fails, I guess I too will go back to 5.2.10.  I think this is allowed without creating other issues.  

Just did a third restart this am at 1:07.  The system was armed and it did stay armed, so that is good, but the relays all reset to off.  I'll probably go back to the older firmware here this evening.

Lou Apo said:
Just did a third restart this am at 1:07.  The system was armed and it did stay armed, so that is good, but the relays all reset to off.  I'll probably go back to the older firmware here this evening.

Lou, what firmware are you on right now?  Is it the latest 5.3.8?  I have not had any reboots since upgrading from 5.3.0 to 5.3.8, but it is too soon to say if it is fixed for me.  

blueman2 said:
Lou, what firmware are you on right now?  Is it the latest 5.3.8?  I have not had any reboots since upgrading from 5.3.0 to 5.3.8, but it is too soon to say if it is fixed for me.  
yes 5.3.8

I have had 3 reboots since installing it on labor day.  In the previous 6 years I am not aware of a single reboot having happened.  All along that was the same firmware (I forget the number), but it was obviously at least 6 years old.

Lou Apo said:
yes 5.3.8

I have had 3 reboots since installing it on labor day.  In the previous 6 years I am not aware of a single reboot having happened.  All along that was the same firmware (I forget the number), but it was obviously at least 6 years old.

Are you using an expander board for additional inputs?  

Back