Security System Monitoring over IP or VOIP?

bdAZ

Hi All - 

Quick question: Can a HAI Omni IIe system be monitored by a central station via an Internet Connection (preferred) or VOIP connection? 

Any recommendations on monitoring companies to use?

Thanks kindly.

bdAZ said:
Hi All - 

Quick question: Can a HAI Omni IIe system be monitored by a central station via an Internet Connection (preferred) or VOIP connection? 

Any recommendations on monitoring companies to use?

Thanks kindly.
Sure. I've been using NextAlarm for years, but there are others. NextAlarm and Alarm.com tend to be the companies people use.

You will need to buy an broadband adapter like this:  https://info.nextalarm.com/shop/

They are maybe $70.  Plug the Omni into it, and plug in the Internet, and your ready to go.

I've used and recommend AlarmRelay. I've setup multiple people with their service with Elk systems - no special broadband adapter was needed.

drvnbysound said:
I've used and recommend AlarmRelay. I've setup multiple people with their service with Elk systems - no special broadband adapter was needed.
If no adapter is needed how do you connect the analog phone connection on an Omni to the Internet?  If your saying it goes over regular VoIP (assuming you have that) what happens if your on the phone when the Omni wants to communicate? 

ano said:
If no adapter is needed how do you connect the analog phone connection on an Omni to the Internet?  If your saying it goes over regular VoIP (assuming you have that) what happens if your on the phone when the Omni wants to communicate? 

Not sure if you followed all of what I wrote, but I'll clarify. I've used AlarmRelay with Elk systems (not HAI) - with the Elk XEP (Ethernet module) which essentially makes the system network-able. With this device, in the Elk eco-system, the CS is able to monitor the system without any additional modules. The CS literally monitors via IP traffic - no analog (or VoIP) phone.

ano said:
Sure. I've been using NextAlarm for years, but there are others. NextAlarm and Alarm.com tend to be the companies people use.

You will need to buy an broadband adapter like this:  https://info.nextalarm.com/shop/

They are maybe $70.  Plug the Omni into it, and plug in the Internet, and your ready to go.
Bad idea. Many reasons.

Either get a dedicated IP communicator or stay away from the ATA. VOIP and monitoring don't go together. There's a reason why many of the pros don't do it. Pull the network cable from the modem and tell me if the ATA ever lets the panel know there's not a viable connection. It won't.

Spend for an IP communicator or go straight cellular only.

http://www.securitysales.com/article/alarm-company-s-carelessness-costs-customer-her-life

8 digit settlement for installing a cellular backup on a VOIP phone line. Never functioned.

drvnbysound said:
Not sure if you followed all of what I wrote, but I'll clarify. I've used AlarmRelay with Elk systems (not HAI) - with the Elk XEP (Ethernet module) which essentially makes the system network-able. With this device, in the Elk eco-system, the CS is able to monitor the system without any additional modules. The CS literally monitors via IP traffic - no analog (or VoIP) phone.
OP has an Omni IIe.

ano said:
OP has an Omni IIe.

Understood. I'm obviously not as familiar with the OPII products, but assumed that with it's network ability that it had the same features - it seems that is not true. That said, I've read for years that the Elk and "HAI" panels have the same capabilities but are structured differently where you get more upfront with the OPII panel (Ethernet & serial ports) whereas the Elk is more limited upfront with the ability to add-on what you want. As I read more and more into the OPII panel, it seems that isn't the case and there various gotcha's about either system that can make significant differences for those choosing panels.

I've actually asked some industry people (i.e. Worthington) if they've ever created a comparison sheet for people who may consider switching panels or for those who sell both - the response I received was... no, because generally people stick to using one system or the other. At the time I asked, I was considering switching primarily because the OmniTouch7 interface and it's ability to integrate with IP cameras, and because the integration with the HiFi2 system. Then I read something along the lines of... if you have any N/O sensors you are required to use EOLR. I have them now and it's not a huge deal, but that's a really limiting design, and something I was planning to get away from in my next home. For commercial and like installations I get it... but for my use in residential, for better or worse, I've gotten away from using them. Nonetheless, I think an apples to apples comparison spreadsheet with those sort of differences would be a pretty nice tool for those looking to buy their first panel.

Brilliant! Thank you all for the informative answers - this is just what I was looking for. Many thanks!!!

ano said:

DELInstallations said:
Pull the network cable from the modem and tell me if the ATA ever lets the panel know there's not a viable connection. It won't.

Some of the ATA's will disable the analog port when the Ethernet cable is disconnected which is read by the panel when the ATA goes offline (not registered with SIP provider/PBX).  I agree that VoIP for alarm communication is much different than VoIP for voice and cellular does make much more sense. 

In many installations it is possible to use cellular as primary and an ATA for VoIP as backup, but as with any VoIP installation, QoS is the most important point because any interruption in data communication can cause alarm data to not be readable by the alarm center.

Also, if using an ATA, remember to put your ATA, network switch, network router, and DSL modem/cable modem/IAD/ONT on UPS as well, because all will need power to continue operation during a power outage in support of VoIP.

ano said:
I would agree that is a tiny UPS which may be too small to support all the network equipment depending on the load and how much runtime is desired plus that model's output is square wave, so can cause some issues with sensitive electronics. 
We generally recommend the APC BR1500G as a starter size UPS unit to have enough outlets, decent run time for long power outages, and the BR1500G approximates a sine wave, so won't damage electronics plus you can add expansion battery packs as well. 
A good UPS will also allow you to power your Omnipro, your PoE switch that runs your cameras, touchscreens, etc...., and everything needed to support your VoIP and/or cellular installation.

DELInstallations said:
Spend for an IP communicator or go straight cellular only.

http://www.securitysales.com/article/alarm-company-s-carelessness-costs-customer-her-life

8 digit settlement for installing a cellular backup on a VOIP phone line. Never functioned.

Not an expert on security or ATAs being used for alarms but that article pointed out many mistakes.

I don't know if you can config an ATA to drop the line voltage (FXS port)  on loss of IP connectivity to the VoIP CO. If you can't then I'd agree 100%. I don't think my SPA-3102 can do that.

[Edit]: Sorry about the multiple posts. I think I removed the extras.

StarTrekDoors said:
I would agree that is a tiny UPS which may be too small to support all the network equipment depending on the load and how much runtime is desired plus that model's output is square wave, so can cause some issues with sensitive electronics. 
We generally recommend the APC BR1500G as a starter size UPS unit to have enough outlets, decent run time for long power outages, and the BR1500G approximates a sine wave, so won't damage electronics plus you can add expansion battery packs as well. 
A good UPS will also allow you to power your Omnipro, your PoE switch that runs your cameras, touchscreens, etc...., and everything needed to support your VoIP and/or cellular installation.
No, if you have a rack of equipment, then this UPS wouldn't be for you.  For my switch and alarm IP adapter it runs about for 4 hours. I also have a APC BR1500G for my Mac Server.  With NOTHING plugged in that will run MAYBE 90 minutes.  Its certainly not designed for long operation.  

I'm not quite sure why you would run your Omni Pro II from a UPS?  If your loads don't exceed the recommendations, your battery in the Omni Pro II should power it for at least 8 hours, if not longer.  

Back