How difficult is it to change monitoring services for an HAI system? Advice desperately needed.

parker8

Hi,

We had an HAI system installed in our new home build 5 years ago. The original installer sold us on the potential, but since installation has been extremely difficult to work with and all we are left with basic fire and security and a few lights that we can turn on and off from our phone.

We want to get the most out of our system, but upon contacting other installers, found out we need the original 'dealer code' from our installer to gain access to make any changes. The original installer has been unwilling to give us that code, but finally agreed to reset it to the default for a $100 fee. However, that original installer has told us that he will immediately terminate our monitoring services and "remove the dial out setup since he is no longer in control of the panel.”

We don't know what any of that means for us and how expensive and involved this is all becoming. We've tried searching for other companies for monitoring that work with HAI, but so far haven't found any. The current monitoring company is through the installer and he will not allow that to continue when resetting the code. 

Does anyone know how difficult it is to change monitoring services? Do we need to have an installer do that or is it something we could do ourselves? Any recommendations on a monitoring service that is compatible? 

Thank you for any help anyone has for us!

Hi:

Don't panic.  At the very least you can reset the system but the negative is it will also lose the zone setup that you have.  Resetting the installer code would help a bit because it would save you some setup and really switching to a different monitoring company is pretty easy.

The first thing you will need is to buy Leviton PC Access if you don't have it already. There are two versions, the installer version and the end-user version. They are basically both the same but the installer version lets you access and store "installer" types of settings. Its not like you can't set these "installer" items without the installer version, but it makes it much easier. You can set them using the console, but its tiresome, but it can be done.

Lets start here, how big is your system, as in how many zones, do you have wireless, how many lights and what technology?  Leviton UPB? 

If your system is small, its probably not worth it for you to pay the $100 "ransom" because restoring this info isn't that hard. 

You have two options, having another installer set it up for you, or you can do it yourself.  Its not terribly hard but it is technical. If you are not a bit technical, its probably best to hire another installer to get it going for you.

So if you do get the installer code, and the previous installer left everything intact, switching monitoring companies means changing a phone number (if it uses a phone) and letting the new company know about your zones. That's it. If you have to reset it, then you will need to program back your zones, but an easy task for an installer.

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum Parker8.

Curious where are you located?

Help us help you.

You can get monitoring services for less than $20 a month these days. 

Take a couple of pictures of your HAI board and post them here.  It will give us an idea of what you have.

For lighting control take a picture of the module connected with one cable to the panel.  It will be plugged in to some outlet near the panel or right outside of the panel.  Take a picture of one of your light switches too.

Hi:

We were told that reseting the system loses the zones, and I would think we are technical enough that we could reset those with the software (and probably do it the way it should have been done in the first place). However, we were told that the only way to reset the system is to mail the board back to Leviton or to spend $800 on a new board. Is that not true? Can we override things just with the dealer software?? We are having a hard time figuring out what is true at this point and what is more of a 'scare tactic.'

We have 3 zones with two thermostats and 11 lights controllable. That's it. Pictures attached.

We are in Pennsylvania.

Thanks for the information!

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1034]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1033]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1031]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1032]

parker8 said:
Hi:

We were told that reseting the system loses the zones, and I would think we are technical enough that we could reset those with the software (and probably do it the way it should have been done in the first place). However, we were told that the only way to reset the system is to mail the board back to Leviton or to spend $800 on a new board. Is that not true? Can we override things just with the dealer software?? We are having a hard time figuring out what is true at this point and what is more of a 'scare tactic.'

We have 3 zones with two thermostats and 11 lights controllable. That's it. Pictures attached.

We are in Pennsylvania.

Thanks for the information!
Hi:

I think you are correct that they tell you to send it back to them to reset it. A few things to try first.  Often the installer will set the code to be your house number or the last 4 digits of your phone number. Try those first. I think the default is 1111.

Second, since you are in PA, you are actually near one of the most knowledgeable dealers in the country, Worthington.
http://www2.worthingtondistribution.com/info/contact.php

If there is a trick to resetting it, they know it.  Its worth a try.  I'm pretty sure that people discovered the magic reset method, but I can't remember it at the moment.  All that has to be done is to reset the flash memory which I'm sure is just connecting a pin to power or ground. 

Looks like you have about 20 security zones, a relay board, maybe to control your garage door, and you use Leviton UPB for lighting.  A nice system, not terribly complex. 

$100 to pull account dialer information upon contract cancellation isn't a huge dealbreaker. Basically the cost of a service call or tech time to dial into the system and pull the dialer information out of the panel. Actually, quite a responsible thing and 100% legal as it absolutely removes liability.

Whether or not the OP wants to pay that is another item, but I wouldn't call it holding the account as "ransom". I'd want the same release from one of my monitored accounts (short of non-payment).

Googling here on the forum it looks like you can access the panel and change the installer code by using the master code with a serial connection to the the panel.

Do you have a master code?  (code #1)

If so then just serially connecting to the panel with PCA and using the master code will let you see the installer code and change it or just leave it as is.

Here is a bit more relating serial port access.

[SIZE=12pt]Will a serial lockout occur if too many invalid attempts are made?[/SIZE]

Yes.  When Leviton controllers are accessed via RS-232 (serial) connections, the software application is required to establish a secure connection by matching Code 1 (Master) in the controller with Code 1 in the software.  If the codes do not match, an error "PLEASE CORRECT USER CODE 1" will be displayed.

If three invalid attempts are made with the wrong code, serial access is denied for 1 hour.  Subsequent attempts within this one hour lockout will restart the one hour lockout timer.

To reset the lockout, simply power down the controller, both battery and AC, for a few seconds and power back up.
I have not tested this but have used PC Access installer software in serial mode and it works just fine.

Thinking the default serial ports are configured using OmniLink.

pete_c said:
Googling here on the forum it looks like you can access the panel and change the installer code by using the master code with a serial connection to the the panel.

Do you have a master code?  (code #1)

If so then just serially connecting to the panel with PCA and using the master code will let you see the installer code and change it or just leave it as is.

Here is a bit more relating serial port access.

[SIZE=12pt]Will a serial lockout occur if too many invalid attempts are made?[/SIZE]

Yes.  When Leviton controllers are accessed via RS-232 (serial) connections, the software application is required to establish a secure connection by matching Code 1 (Master) in the controller with Code 1 in the software.  If the codes do not match, an error "PLEASE CORRECT USER CODE 1" will be displayed.

If three invalid attempts are made with the wrong code, serial access is denied for 1 hour.  Subsequent attempts within this one hour lockout will restart the one hour lockout timer.

To reset the lockout, simply power down the controller, both battery and AC, for a few seconds and power back up.
I have not tested this but have used PC Access installer software in serial mode and it works just fine.

Thinking the default serial ports are configured using OmniLink.
That might work but how about this also.  On the console press 9 then enter you code, then press 6.
Scroll down and write down the IP address, port and security code 1 and security code 2.

Connect your panel to your home network or use a cross-over cable to your PC.

You should be able to connect to your panel using the security code you got above.

Then once you are connected, you can download a new installer code? You might even be able download the setup TO PC Access and read back the installer code.
So see if you can read that security keys from your console. Once you have that your good to go and I don't think the installer code is even needed.

I would recommend purchasing PC Access for Installers to get you started with the endeavor probably sooner than later.

The software is simple to use and runs on Windows XP ==> W10.

Back