2 Questions before I take the plunge on an Omni System

heffneil said:
I wanted to add and maybe it was said above by Haiku is the best app for working with the Omni. We run it in like 10 ipads at a minimum and it is great.  If Leviton was smart they would buy the product from the company.  It is lightyears more usable than snaplink.  Also he has a new version (less liked by the public) call Space.  Hopefully development on Space continues soon to catch up to Haiku's fantasticness.

Neil
Just a warning here.  I agree that Haiku is good, but it is not available in the Apple App store any longer, as the vendor has moved to Space. For that reason, no one who sees this will be able to buy it as a new user (sadly, IMO.)

sionxct said:
How secure is internet based monitoring from tampering? Like POTS, I've been concerned that a pair of cable cutters could prevent the panel from sending an alarm. I know cellular can be hi-jacked, but I would think the average thief is less likely to have the necessary equipment vs some readily available cable cutters.
Burglars today realize you can have cellular and don't bother cutting cables, but reinforcing where they go into your house is not a bad idea. Burglars know an alarm company will call the house, then call police and it will take police 5+ minutes to get there, so they plan to be out in 4.

ano said:
Burglars today realize you can have cellular and don't bother cutting cables, but reinforcing where they go into your house is not a bad idea. Burglars know an alarm company will call the house, then call police and it will take police 5+ minutes to get there, so they plan to be out in 4.
Nothing will stop a smash and grab, from the inception of residential security systems and their real first generation installs in the 70's (and I know there were ones well before that, I've serviced the old Mccullough loop and tabletop ADT systems from back in the 40's and 50's). The bigger issue is complacency and people not being security minded.....not many people install a good fire rated safe in their house, on a ground floor and bolted down, let alone connected to an alarm system. Same as leaving out sensitive documents and items.

DELInstallations said:
Nothing will stop a smash and grab, from the inception of residential security systems and their real first generation installs in the 70's (and I know there were ones well before that, I've serviced the old Mccullough loop and tabletop ADT systems from back in the 40's and 50's). The bigger issue is complacency and people not being security minded.....not many people install a good fire rated safe in their house, on a ground floor and bolted down, let alone connected to an alarm system. Same as leaving out sensitive documents and items.
And no doubt many people have security systems and fail to use them when they leave.

ano said:
And no doubt many people have security systems and fail to use them when they leave.
Fail to use them when they're home as well. Petit case in my state is a perfect example. I was involved with that system and the basic facts of what happened in the system non-activation, subsequent tamper, fire alarm, fire trouble and bell trouble transmissions. I worked on their system and subsequently installed systems throughout their neighbors homes after the fact. Somewhat surreal to be installing a system in the house that is directly behind the burnt out shell of the house where the crimes occurred with the examiners going through it. One of my installs was also featured on the show "It takes a thief".

A lot of criminals that have been caught find documents, checks and other items that facilitate identity theft to be far more lucrative and attractive compared to Aunt Edna's jewelry or electronics.

Back