a little help connecting M1XSLZW to elk m1g?

ahreno

i just got my M1XSLZW and went to hook it up to my elk m1g.  From what i can figure out i have to connect it to J1 or J2 data bus (right?).  I also got the usb installer key and the [SIZE=13.600000381469727px]Leviton Vizia RF+ Plug-In [/SIZE][SIZE=13.600000381469727px]Serial[/SIZE][SIZE=13.600000381469727px] (RS232) Interface Module. [/SIZE]

I'm surprised that nothing came with what i actually need to connect the serial expander to the m1g. Is this something i can get at radio shack / local electronic store? whats it actually called? I know what it looks like i think but i dont know what to ask for.

Thanks!

ahreno said:
i just got my M1XSLZW and went to hook it up to my elk m1g.  From what i can figure out i have to connect it to J1 or J2 data bus (right?).

The M1XSLZW connects to the M1G via the databus. You can connect it via J1 or J2, but these are provided as temporary connections, and the terminal strip is recommended for this connection (or via DBH).

ahreno said:
I'm surprised that nothing came with what i actually need to connect the serial expander to the m1g. Is this something i can get at radio shack / local electronic store? whats it actually called? I know what it looks like i think but i dont know what to ask for.

Thanks!

As noted above, the serial expander (M1XSLZW) connects to the M1G via the databus. This connection requires 4 conductors (+VKP, Data A, Data B, NEG). This is generally done via standard 4-conductor alarm wiring, although Cat wiring can also be used..

Personally, I used Cat5E and connected the M1XSLZW directly to a Databus Hub (DBH) via RJ-45 connection.

Thanks.  So your suggested method would require me to buy yet another addon for this?  I really dont want to spend more on this since what i want to accomplish is very simple. i just want some control over my lights.  Can i use J1 or J2 permanently and just use some cat5 to go between the two?

Why would you not just use the Category cable to connect the terminals on the M1XSLZW directly to the terminals on the M1 board?

i guess i dont understand which terminals they would go to. Thats what i thought i was saying in my last post... taking cat cables and running from the (+VKP, Data A, Data B, NEG) of J1 to the M1XSLZW.  

If you have the M1 working today then you have items connected to the databus - keypads, input or output expanders, wireless receivers, etc - all connect to the databus.  This is just another device that would go in-line with those.  Of course it's possible that you literally only have a single device connected to the databus right now if you have only one keypad and no other expanders, in which case you'd want to read up on how to add another device to the second leg, or put it inline with the keypad.

can you describe what accessories you have in place so far?

I have one keypad connected. i also have a handful of window / door / smoke / motion and window break sensors.  Does it get hooked up just like one of those? man, i'd feel like an idiot if that was the case.  It's been probably 5 years since i hooked up the elk and i ahvent done anything with it since then.

AHRENO

Not sure if you were able to resolve - The keypad that you have now is connected to the data bus on the elk panel which is where you'll need to hook up the m1xslzw. Like mentioned above you can use either standard 4 conductor alarm wire or cat cable to hook it up to the panel on the databus

The sensors connect on the other side of the panel and is not related to hooking up the m1xszlw

yes that's correct . ELK recommends that there are no more than 2 homerun devices on that bus which i believe in your case is a non issue since you have only one keypad.

Back